Sign in to follow this  
Trento87

Where is best spot on the Goldy to catch bulk whiting

Tallebudgera creek has good yabbie banks you can walk to at low tide park just after the 2nd bridge over the canals on Tallebudgera drive and walk through the tracks from the first car park and you will find the banks i'm talking about.

Take your yabbie pump as these are some of the best bait live on a small long shank hook use a no.2 or no. 3 sinker abover a swivel with 1.2m of trace to your hook I use 6lb mono right through.

This same area will hold plenty of whiting just move around till you locate them good luck

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Latest Posts

• Similar Content

• By davostephens
      I got sick of putting a baitjig over the side at 4$ a pop and then torn to shreds in seconds,,,so i thought there must be a better way.
      I try to get a northern species of yakka, But when the school macs are around or down south, the bonito.. your jigs dont last too long.
      So i made this. I use wire on mine due to school macs. The wire is then albrite knotted strait to mono 50 lb. I use 3 jigs on my  but im sure you could go more. I use heavy gear i guess for bait because once one mac or trevally hit usualy more do.  Anyway it may be of use to someone. 
      You need : some nylon filament.. The stuff that goes on woghead lures for Spanish macs. (Good tackle shops should have this)
                         Lumo sleeves
                        40lb single strand wire..  ( if your making yours no wire then you will need a thicker wire to put hole in nylon melt {see below}, then remove, then poke your mono thru)
                        Hooks and mono of choice.  a lighter too. and bit of braid.

1- pinch of filament, couple colours if desired.. then tie bit of braid around bunch and slide to within 1 cm of end of bunch.. the braid gathers it together to allow easier melting of mono filament strands.
      2- Burn the end of the filament bunch to melt together.. Do a couple of times. and while still not hard poke a piece of wire thru the middle of the burnt glob of nylon. {make sure glob isnt to large that the lumo sleeve wont jam over,)
      3- put hook on wire with haywire twist. I put twist around hook shank to shorten the distance.
      4- trim a lumo sleeve to desired size and slide over melted glob, filament and hook end.. Draw eyes on with pernament texta if ur keen.
      5 -trim filament to desired length
      6 - make a rig with charter loop knots or alike. say 3 loops and 2 tag ends that one goes to swivel and other to sinker.
      7 - Albrite wire to mono. 
      and there u go..
      If your not using wire just poke the wire thru the melted glob..put bit wd40 on wire so dosnt stick to melted nylon. then pull out wire once set, leaving a hole to poke ur mono thru and tie on hook.
      In these i put about 5 cm wire for toothys. and a mix of bluey purple filament and whit filament.. i trimmed both ends of the lumo sleeve to about 2-3cm total. Trim filament tail to size reqd.. i make long to begin with as it is easier to handle and burn.
      I reckon theyed make ok fly fishing thingys. Im not a fly fisho.
      I used this one night and instead of a lead i had a lucanus jig as the weight. Just with the boat bobbing a 8 kg cobia took the lucanus..Because the whole rig was sound and well made i got the cobia.. Later i caught 3 small barracuda on the jig that i kept alive and on dawn they were turned into spanish mackeral. Daylight has seen plenty of school macs have a go at it. 
      anyway there easy enough to make.
      If you do make some post a pic to see what else people come up with for bait jig material..

Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By FishingMad.com.au
      I’m just sharing a step by step instructional video I created on the basics of bream fishing. I think many will find this helpful. In this instance, we are using live scrub worms to catch bream. We guide you through tackle and gear selection, rig setup, bait presentation then me and my kids catch a few bream on the Maribyrnong river. It’s a great video for beginners, or those looking for a few tips or those looking to take their kids fishing, especially during the school holidays.

This same guide can be used for all different types of fish species such as trout, redfin, carp, bream, mullet, bass, perch, whiting and much more. It’s very simple and very effective all you need is a rod, reel, line, ball sinker, swivel, and hook and your all set.

Make sure you sub the channel if you enjoy the video
    • By Andrew_P
      The bloke I sit next to at work is a mad keen spearo from the Gold Coast and just bought an old Haines V16 4.8m a few months ago. He set himself the goal to catch a marlin out of it and had 3 successful trips before Xmas, even landing a nice black solo. So hearing the bait was still thick and reports of marlin being caught we decided to go see if we could get one. Conditions were a bit ordinary on the way out following the left overs of a storm cell, but we got out and it settled down nicely. 
      We were soon joined by 20 or so other boats (some similar size to ours but no Timmy the Turtle skiffs today) with different ideas about etiquette and found the bait right on the spot. Top to bottom slimies in 80m. 
      We jigged some baits and put them in our unplumbed live bait tanks (2 buckets and an old esky) and started our drifts on 8 and 10kg gear. The current was raging and even though the bait school was huge we drifted through it very quickly.  Putting back up to the spot we saw a fish going crazy in front of a 50 footer and wondered who had hooked it. No boat around the fish had the tell tale signs of panic involved with a hook up so it must have been a free jumper. Good signs!
      After almost being swamped by a courteous neighbour (think he was still learning how to drive his 8m beast) we moved and set our drift. Shortly after my mate had a run, eased the drag up and set the hook on a fish before the line went slack. He must’ve had a nick in his mainline as he only got back about 10m of it. 1-1-0. Spewing!
      Boats around us started hooking up and our hopes were high for another shot. To increase our chances we found a patch to our selves and dropped our livies down. The skipper had another run and eased the drag up slowly as a nice fish jumped towards the boat. I put my drag up to clear my line out of his way but there was more pressure than just the sinker. I hadn’t felt the bite (very out of touch!) but I also had a fish on and it started moving north steadily. A double hookup on nice blacks! 3-3-?  Chaos! 
      His fish was heading to NZ and mine to PNG so he offered to break his off to give me the best chance of landing one of the two. By this time I had lost half a spool of 8kg and he had managed to get his moving towards the boat. Mine started jumping a good 500m from the boat in an awesome aerial display and spat the hook. 
      Ok so now we could focus on landing his fish. I took the wheel and we went about getting some of his line back and had the fish on the surface within 10m of the boat after another 5mins. It was far bigger than we both thought (50kg?) I had only seen small blacks of about 20-25kg up close and this looked easily twice the size.
      He tried to coax the fish towards the boat but it didn’t like it and jumped away before going deep in protest. This was how the battle went for the next hour or so with attempts to plane the fish up, change direction on him and annoying him with the sound of engine getting him near the boat but not allowing us to reach the leader. About an hour and a half in my mate felt the line was scuffed badly (he had removed about 50m after the first break). We worked out that the tip roller on his rod wasn’t spinning and the line was chafing on the sides of the roller. No good! 
      After 2 hours and 5 or so sightings near the boat he handed the rod over to me. We couldn’t up the drag due to the chafed line so I tried to short stroke it back to the boat with my fresh arms.  Any line I gained he took back (stubborn fish!) before he turned as I pumped and the pressure on the line was too much. 3-3-0. Spewing!
      I was pretty disappointed to lose his fish after so long but we had to try something to end the stalemate and the chafed line wasnt helping. The northerly had come up so it was time to head in. 
      We were both pretty excited to have had our chances but hopefully next time we can land one. 

Please login or register to view this attachment
    • By straddiebrad
      its been hard going to get livies on the grounds just east of spb anyone been out know where there hidding been there 3 times with only getting a few.
    • By Anglen
      Hi Guys
      Got 20-30 kg squid fresh I'd like to pass on. Not frozen import. Local stuff. SM Arrows
      Canx order. Boss says must go by midday 07/03/19 as fresh caught.
      Brisbane pick up. I'll check in again at 11pm then 2-3am off to freezers after that.
      PM for details
  • Latest Topics

• Donate

Please donate to support AFO. We appreciate all donations!

Thanks
  • Popular Contributors

• Upcoming Events

• Most Liked Topic This Month

• Random Topics

• Newest Clubs

• Links