flattie lures

Beefa

Use big Soft Plastics for Flatties. I like Squidgy Fish in the 110mm size in Dropbear. The larger Slick Rigs are good as well. Also big Atomic Shads. 30cm Flatties will still take 5inch lures so don't be afraid to go big. Here's a 73cm model from the Pine on Sunday. It was caught on a 110mm Dropbear Fish.

Troy [img size=384]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/73cm_Flattie.JPG

post-68-144598427016_thumb.jpg

I've caught heaps and seen heaps caught on the Ecogear SX40's. Only problem is that the Flathead commonly swallow the $18-20 lure, but I've had no bite offs yet even when using 6lb fluro leader.

Also for a cheap option, try the Berkley Flicker Shad, $6 from Tackle Warehouse. Good quality lure with very good sharp hooks. Similar to the ones on the Halco Scorpions 52. This is the colour I have and have landed 2 or 3 Flathead (which is a lot for me as I don't commonly target Flathead) and a small Bream. Don't buy this one (to expensive), if you do want to try them out, check out either Tackle Warehouse or Big W. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BERKLEY-FRENZY-FLICKER-SHAD-5cm-BLACK-GOLD-SUNSET-LURE_W0QQitemZ150158196454QQihZ005QQcategoryZ31693QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I've done pretty well on flatties using a 75mm 'true blue' squidgy shad. Fishing using a 1/8 nitro jig head, in shallow water. Usually pick up flatties in the 40 to 60cm range. For bigger flatties you'd probably have to go the bigger sp's. [img size=160]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/squidgyshadtrueblue.gif

post-1197-144598427023_thumb.gif

I agree with Troy on both using plastics and plastic sizes. Flathead like big food. Last Pin trip i was using 5\" Gulp Minnows and still cathing 30cm flatties. They are not shy! Dont hesitate to use pretty heavy heads either.

If you are deadset on using hard bodies, everyone has a point about SX40's they work a treat. However get the SX60's. Flathead will still happily take and are less likekly to swallow them. For a cheaper option the Halco Scorpion range are also a good option.

Also check out Tassie Devils. These are designed for trout fishing is Tassie. But the way they glide actross the bottom is irristable to most flatties.

Angus

They are not like a jackall. Jackalls are lipless. SX40 and SX60's have bibs and are thus a diving lure. They can be used casting or trolling. Although not as challenging as casting, trolling is a great way to pick up flatties as you cover a lot more ground. As flathead are ambush hunters this is adventageous.

Try trolling past creek mouths, run offs and drop offs. Flathead often wait around these sort of areas ready to ambush bait fish on an outgoing tide.

Angus

Plenty of Jackalls that have got bibs - check out www.jackall.com.au The Jackall Chubbies are an awesome little lure for bream but we've also caught a few flatties on them as well. Expensive exercise when you lose them though.

The Tilsan Bass in the mango colour is a great trolling lure as is the Bomber range of lures. Banana is a particularly good colour. There aren't too many lures that won't catch a flattie. I prefer a lure with more of a tight shimmy when it's retrieved/trolled rather than a big wobble.

After that i do like the Gulp range from the 2\" Shrimp and 3\" minnows in the lime tiger colouration right through to the 7\" powerbaits. Also check out some of the larger shrimps.

Cheers

Leeann wrote:

Plenty of Jackalls that have got bibs - check out www.jackall.com.au The Jackall Chubbies are an awesome little lure for bream but we've also caught a few flatties on them as well. Expensive exercise when you lose them though.

The Tilsan Bass in the mango colour is a great trolling lure as is the Bomber range of lures. Banana is a particularly good colour. There aren't too many lures that won't catch a flattie. I prefer a lure with more of a tight shimmy when it's retrieved/trolled rather than a big wobble.

After that i do like the Gulp range from the 2\" Shrimp and 3\" minnows in the lime tiger colouration right through to the 7\" powerbaits. Also check out some of the larger shrimps.

Cheers

Haha. Showed up! :blush: Yes Leeann you are right sorry. Plenty of Jakalls do have bibs. For some reason when i think of Jakalls i always think immediately of the Lipless Crank Baits. I guess these were my introduction to the Jakall range when chasing bass land based.

Angus

Once again :blush:

Tilsan bass in red was deadly the last time I fished the classic it accounted for 13 of our 22 flathead catch.I have also had good success with the ever faithfull manns+5 pink poofter and also the micro mullets are worth a look. I would strongly recomend that if you don't already have some invest in some braid makes life so much easier. Cheers BRENDO

Like I've said before \"Flathead ain't fussy when it comes to lures\". They will take most colours and shapes weather it be hardbodies or SP's and judging by the variety of lures used through out this post my statement rings true....:)

It's more about finding them first before deciding what lure to use..

They will eat anything you chuck at them !!;)

Ok it's on,

Just spent a small fortune down at Tackle Warehouse this afternoon updating the old flattie lures both hard bodies and SP's hitting the Pin early in the morning[saturday} chasing a few big old girls this a bit of a pre fish leading up to the flathead classic so hopefully by tomorrow night i'll some pics to upload from our session fingers crossed. You name it hopefully we bought it.:woohoo:

Archived