Baitrunner 12000 D - Are they any good?

Aggro101

post-662-144598972271_thumb.jpg

I have 2 6000d and a 4000d, I like them,I love baitrunners, I looked at the ci4 version but for the extra money not worth it, I thought. In the photo was my cobe from last week, got this up on the 4000, but as for this pain over and over not sure if they will last.

Good luck.

Bri

it wont handle 50lb maybe 30lb. I have the 6000d its ok for snapper but i think you cant go past overheads for stopping power. tyrnos 20 or higher would be the go.

From the shimano specs, the 12000D appears to be rated to 85lb braid with maximum drag of 25lb.

Too effectively fish a line class you have a drag setting of 1/3 the breaking strain of the main line.

So to fish 50lb (24kg) you need a drag setting of 8kg.

Now 8kg of drag will not stop a big King the majority of times so you will push the limits up to around 10-12kg of drag.

That puts the Baitrunner at a fully locked drag setting.

The reel will not last long doing that to it plus the drag system in them is not built for that sort of work.

Kings are just brutal on reels so I would be looking at a Saragosa or a Spheros at the very minimum if you wanted to stay with spin gear otherwise a nice smaller overhead would be great like the Tournos or Torium.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions on this. I do have a tld30a that I use to target kingies which is a fantastic reel. But I am actually targeting snapper with the spin gear and occasionally hooking a kingie on it accidentally, so essentially looking for a snapper reel that will cope when that happens.

No need for a tyrnos 20 unless going mono. A tyrnos 12 will still hold 300m of 50lb braid has the same max drag in a much lighter more comfortable to fish with package.

Would you go 2 speed?

I wouldn't but thats just me. Of the 6 over head reels I own none are two speed. Have never really found a need. Maybe if you are regularly fishing for bigger marlin or really big tuna that start holding deep there might be a need. With the usual fish that smoke you, i.e. AJ's or kingies the fight is won or lost in seconds and by the time you even think about changing speed the fish is in its hidey hole in the reef.

No need for a tyrnos 20 unless going mono. A tyrnos 12 will still hold 300m of 50lb braid has the same max drag in a much lighter more comfortable to fish with package.

Would you go 2 speed?

I wouldn't but thats just me. Of the 6 over head reels I own none are two speed. Have never really found a need. Maybe if you are regularly fishing for bigger marlin or really big tuna that start holding deep there might be a need. With the usual fish that smoke you, i.e. AJ's or kingies the fight is won or lost in seconds and by the time you even think about changing speed the fish is in its hidey hole in the reef.

what rod would you pair it with ? A mate just a bought a 6.5m boat and starting to fish harries n mud for snapper and what ever else with livies . I know nothing about this style of fishing

Unlikely, but if you can get your hands on one a daiwa grandwave 12-40lb overhead are awesome as they have a very soft tip but seriously ballsy butt. They have been discontinued for a while though. :(

Otherwise anything with around 7' long with a bit of give in the tip. Gary Howard gforce is one of the better ones but a fair bit of dollars. Live fibres go ok too but not in the same class as the gforce.

Fishing for snapper and then fishing livies for big fish really is vastly different and finding an outfit to do both jobs properly is going to be very hard.

With a 6.5m boat he will obviously venture offshore at some stage so he would be better off setting up a proper kick ass live bait outfit which he can also use as a Marlin/Gamefish rod when the season comes around again and then have a good snapper outfit which can be used for many types of fish and fishing methods.

Well maybe a snapper out fit that fishes livies ?

What does he currently fish for and have in regards to rods and reels? I use my "big flathead" 3-5kg to fish for BR Jew using live bait coupled with 4-7kg set up in case I hook a larger one. I use these at mud and snapper and although I am still working out both places for my targets they will work fine.

I have learnt over the years that there is one size fits all, or even two fishing applications and I am slowly building my collection of gear up over time!

the kingys fight too dirty at curtains to fish light i reckon.

ive had 20kg locked drag on the saragosa 18000 peel off like nothing. I was fighting a 110cm kingy, which gave me alot of curry but i manage to pull him up.

my other setup which was a biomaster SW 8000 on lock drag was not enough to stop what ever that took it, i couldnt stop/turn its head and that was on 13kg drag with my hand pressed against the spool

i reckon fish light for snapper, its so much fun on 5-10lb. while gear up for the kingys, they'll definitely test out your gear, knots and make u respect them haha

happy fishing

Archived