Outboard Service expectations

rathabfishin2

Well after running in the engine on my first new boat (cable steer), I took her in for a service. Die to an unexpected late staff meeting I did not pick up the boat until just about dark. Today I noticed that there was no evidence of the service provider greasing the nipples for the sliding shaft on the steering. I would have thought that this is a part of the motor and hence, would be a part of the service.....

I knownof is a small thing and I will do it myself but when it comes to service whether it be cars, builders, electricians etc I notice the little things, and that little bit secures me as a loyal customer and a customer which recommends.

What are your thoughts? Does your dealer/outboard mechanic grease your nipples?

Is that part of the first service.

Your manual should say what is needed on each service.

Also are you sure they were not done as a decent mechanic would wipe away any excess grease making it look like it may not have been done.

My service manual was not picked up as it was locked in as I said it was a late pick up. So I will check on that. I am sure it was not done as I have always done my own "greasing" on last boat, traliers and cars and there is no evidence of clean grease on the shaft even after 2 hours of use.

I will pick the manual up Monday and check. I just wanted to ask the question as I I have never had a new boat or motor before and have always done most of the work myself

Mate if your not happy,out the dealer and depending on where you live the guy that just service mine I can't fault him. You will find guy's that work for dealers just do what they think and the little things get missed and before I get jumped on I know not all dealers do this BUT MORE THEN NOT.

Mate if your not happy,out the dealer and depending on where you live the guy that just service mine I can't fault him. You will find guy's that work for dealers just do what they think and the little things get missed and before I get jumped on I know not all dealers do this BUT MORE THEN NOT.

I will double check what is "required" for the first service before I say anything, I was just trying to get info from others experience as I have never had a new boat or motor before.

Archived