hey, that's not a snapper...

netmaker

hi all.

finished work at lunchtime yesterday and was hanging for a fish. seemed a bit breezier than forecast but decided to go anyways. headed to mud and did a couple of plastics drifts for nought before heading for the western side and setting up camp. kicked back with a couple of cuttlefish baits out back with pea size sinkers. about 7pm and a little ratchet noise disturbed my scrabble game. wasn't the screaming alarm I usually associate with a snapper so I readied myself for a vermin battle :sick: . wasn't much of a battle at all really until it got close and I figured it was a shark. when I had it boatside I saw it was a big catty and was about to cut it off when I had a good look and realised it was a jew :lol:. don't know how many times I have had a catty look like a jew in the dark but this was the first time it was the other way round. quite chuffed and almost turned around to go home for a comfy sleep but decided to do the night. probably should have gone home as the cuttle I rebaited was still on the hook in the morning. I did get a good nights sleep anyways despite the wind kicking in and the showers around. I was glad I set up the tent. only managed a grinner on plastics for the mornings effort and packed it in early.

post-11227-144598972416_thumb.jpg

Can I ask what you sacrificed to the gods of Mud Island? ;) i am getting desperate after still not having any luck on the snapper!

lol. just my family life(and umpteen hundred hours). you must have missed the post title :lol: . it is not a snapper and I saw nothing pink for my trip. don't give in, it all comes down to time.

Can I ask what you sacrificed to the gods of Mud Island? ;) i am getting desperate after still not having any luck on the snapper!

lol. just my family life(and umpteen hundred hours). you must have missed the post title :lol: . it is not a snapper and I saw nothing pink for my trip. don't give in, it all comes down to time.

No I was making a cheeky reference to the "gods" giving you that "bycatch" as my bycatch is always catfish, rays, grinners and last weekend a wobby. I plan on persevering, and when I do finally get one I know you'll probably hear me in Brisbane.

Can I ask how you set up your tent?

No I was making a cheeky reference to the "gods" giving you that "bycatch" as my bycatch is always catfish, rays, grinners and last weekend a wobby. I plan on persevering, and when I do finally get one I know you'll probably hear me in Brisbane.

Can I ask how you set up your tent?

tin arsed it. usually have same bycatch you mentioned.

my tent: poles made from electrical conduit - regular poles kept breaking. using the 2 rowlocks and another 2 holes i drilled in the gunwales. the poles have 6mm wire jammed in the end and the wire goes into the holes to form the dome. the 2 pieces at the top are bolted together. the poles collapse just like tent poles. i have clips on the outer gunwales and bought a tarp and made it to fit tight over the dome using plastic eyelets as the regular brass ones rust. totally water/windproof and keeps the dew off and the heat in.

post-11227-144598972467_thumb.jpg

post-11227-144598972472_thumb.jpg

post-11227-144598972483_thumb.jpg

Mate that is an awesome set up! :woohoo: . With the new boat I am hesitant about drilling holes but your idea gave me a few such as using the four flush rod holders mounted on the approx 15cm wide gunnels to mount poles in. I would have to make a base to go in here and join the conduit to that. Hmmm more work on the boat to distract me from my real job :whistle:

yeah. she don't look like much and i get some funny looks in the morning but it works. have a mozzie net that velcros on the back to keep em at bay. inflatable mattress on the floor with a sleeping bag and pillow and my biggest problem is sleeping in :P also doubles as a cover to keep the neighbours bamboo crap out.

looks so comfy id probably wake up at 10am with a couple of spooled reels!!

Where do you get cuttle fish from??

yeah, had some interesting scenarios greet me in the morning. don't leave more than 1 line out these days :blink:

cuttlefish are either caught at the end of the wello leads or bought from patons butcher at victoria point or occassionally seafood house. it's not cheap these days. last lot i was lucky. ausfish member posted he had an overly full freezer and i got 2 boxes (which went 17kg) for $30.

All this time I thought you ownd a big boat !

is that because i am a tax agent or that i catch fish? :P i love my old tinny - cracks and all. i don't need help from anyone else to launch or retrieve or to share the fuel bill. a day at mud costs me less than $20 and i go when i want and come home when i want. you don't need a big boat to catch big fish. you just need a big landing net or a gaff on it :P (and nice weather). and i have better. i have mates with big boats (who are always looking to share fuel bills :whistle: ). i have found tho, that there is more room on the floor of my tinny than plenty of big boats i have been on. most don't have bunks long enough to accommodate anyone 6 foot tall(unless you sleep foetal position) and have pedestal seats or consoles using up the deck room.

Archived