Bretts Wharf Threaddie!!!

viperon1982

Thanks guys!

Angus - erm... I'm quite sure it's Bretts Wharf. Its the pontoon on the right of the citycat stop. I didnt exactly see the name of the stop, but that's Bretts Wharf isn't it? And it's got a roadside parking right behind the pontoon. *scratches head*

*goes off to check map*

Yeah I'm quite positive it's Bretts now. hehe. It's definitely past Breakfast Creek and the pontoon's not far from a BWS.

But is there a pontoon off Newstead as well? High time I started exploring places than sticking to Toowong and Indooroo!

ellicat wrote:

Hey Viperon, Good to see you got the rod out again. And what a reward!! Great threadie.:woohoo:

How about some details of the fight...:)

Thanks Ellicat! It was a spontaneous decision I made last nite to go fishing at Bretts! AngoLee's been fishing there lately and has landed 3 8-10kg stingrays! I was madly desperate for a huge stingray!!!

Mate and I have been fishing indooroo bridge for weeks, occasional cattie and tons of lil jewies. Nothing interesting.. I did have a HUGE run at indooroo 2 nights ago and it was exactly like the one I had when I caught this fish! I had it rite next to the pontoon but then it decided it'd make a great dash for the pillar and wrap my line around it and POP goes my hook line sinker (was a lite-medium action baitcast rod but it was prob my lack of experience :blush: ).

This time I ain't having none of that though, I came prepared! At least 4-5 good strong and mad dashes for freedom from this big guy, but nothing's escaping my 8\" rod and 30lb line! The sound of line peeling off the reel was quite... no wait.. was VERY orgasmic.. :P

I absolutely loved the runs, strong but nice and clean! I look forward to more trips to Bretts! And conveniently it's the semester break now! woohoo!!! :woohoo:

Brian D wrote:

Good one Viperon - you're the man. Gotta love your dedication and enthausium. heck out your smile. What time did you set the hook?

Gezz it look like a healthy beast. :);) :cheer: Well done

Cheers buddy! Love the transition of your smilies! haha!

I never fail to get pumped up on a fish, even small ones! The adrenaline rush while you're fighting a big one and seeing it surfacing thou is unbelievable!!! :silly: *endorphins still cruising in my blood* I feel so so much younger now.. haha!

Reminds me of the track sprints I used to do back in high school, especially the 4x100m. It's exactly the same feeling that you get while you're waiting for your teammate to pass you the baton!!! And the sense of accomplishment of winning the race mimicks landing the fish!! Mate and I were celebrating and screaming for joy for a good 15mins with.. yes, Pringles and BEER!

Erm what time did I set the hook? Well can't really remember much from all the excitement, but I THINK it was after the first run. It wasn't really running for freedom, it prob had the prawn in its mouth for a while and was cruising along enjoying its nice meal. Was a biggish prawn about 5 inches long which I'd hooked right across the mid-body.

So I waited while line peeled off slowly from the reel and the minute I felt more tapping from the tip of the rod, I made a great big STRIKE! *WHAM* off it goes!! Still can't get over last nite... my blood's all pumped up now recollecting it!

All your fault Brian D, now I'm thinking of abandoning my football competition this arvo and go for a fish instead!!! :lol:

Here's my mate Adrick doing lifts with the fish! He used to be a hardcore surfcasting competitor back in Singapore! For being a great fishing bud and teaching me the finer art of long distance casting, he was rewarded handsomely with half the fish!

Cheers to Adrian aka Kiara for teaching me everything too! Hey Adrian, you GOT to come back soon!!!

[img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/adrick_doing_lifts_with_the_fish.jpg

post-1277-144598427495_thumb.jpg

viperon1982 wrote:

Thanks guys!

Angus - erm... I'm quite sure it's Bretts Wharf. Its the pontoon on the right of the citycat stop. I didnt exactly see the name of the stop, but that's Bretts Wharf isn't it? And it's got a roadside parking right behind the pontoon. *scratches head*

*goes off to check map*

Yeah I'm quite positive it's Bretts now. hehe. It's definitely past Breakfast Creek and the pontoon's not far from a BWS.

But is there a pontoon off Newstead as well? High time I started exploring places than sticking to Toowong and Indooroo!

Haha welcome to the \"one metre club man\" ! i have given up on toowong and indoor already ! hahah

Brian D wrote:

Sorry Viperon when I said what time did you set hook I meant was it at 2am after work or when? Looks late to me.

PS I like your celebration with chips and beer.

Ha Love that last photo, looks like you are doing the harka for the all blacks.

Oh ooops! it was at about 9-930pm mate! I get all the joys of freedom as a student, no work all play all day! hahaha..

Chips and alcohol anytime! I \"christianed\" my PB threaddie by breaking the bottle on its head!

nah.. kidding, hahaha! I poured beer over its head instead ;) !

Yeah adrick was going wild with the catch! That was the first time he's seen such a huge fish from the brissy river!

viperon1982 wrote:

Bro bro.. finally man... congrats :D.. soo happy for you :D. hehe. finally :D :D :D. Pity you didnt pick up a few rays as well eh :D. hehe. oh well. soon mate, soon :)

make sure you get one at spot-x too eh :D. hehe. damn, cant wait to get back to bris man... arghh... hehe.

get a 20kg one soon? :D. hehe

Angus wrote:

Yeah mate after looking through the photo's again it is Bretts, my bad sorry!

But yeah there is one at Newstead as well. There have been plenty of rays and a few salmon and sharks caught off there as well.

Angus

No worries Angus! I'll have to go Newstead soon then! Isn't that Brekky Creek? Where exactly would be the ideal place for stingrays and sharks? I'm still looking for a big phat ray!!! not that i'm complaining about the threaddie!

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

Bro bro.. finally man... congrats :D.. soo happy for you :D. hehe. finally :D :D :D. Pity you didnt pick up a few rays as well eh :D. hehe. oh well. soon mate, soon :)

make sure you get one at spot-x too eh :D. hehe. damn, cant wait to get back to bris man... arghh... hehe.

get a 20kg one soon? :D. hehe

Yes finally! Thanks bro! Don't worry, I'm going there all day every day this week! I'll get a ray by hook or by crook! 20kg rays man!!

Need to castnet for more bait first! hehe!

Rocket75 wrote:

What a cracker! Obviously you kept the fish for a feed, how are they on the plate?

Nice work

Haha, well my \"Made-in-China\" housemate's cooking up a storm as we speak. It's Chinese-styled szechuan chilli hot pot threadfin salmon tat we're having tonite!! Not for the faint-hearted! God its gonna be yummy...

viperon1982 wrote:

Angus wrote:
Yeah mate after looking through the photo's again it is Bretts, my bad sorry!

But yeah there is one at Newstead as well. There have been plenty of rays and a few salmon and sharks caught off there as well.

Angus

No worries Angus! I'll have to go Newstead soon then! Isn't that Brekky Creek? Where exactly would be the ideal place for stingrays and sharks? I'm still looking for a big phat ray!!! not that i'm complaining about the threaddie!

The Newstead pontoon has a big sand bank right next to it so there would probably be some big rays around that.

viperon1982 wrote:

Rocket75 wrote:

Haha, well my \"Made-in-China\" housemate's cooking up a storm as we speak. It's Chinese-styled szechuan chilli hot pot threadfin salmon tat we're having tonite!! Not for the faint-hearted! God its gonna be yummy...

Yummy alright, my goodness it sound bloody beautiful.

Would the recipe work for barra fillets?

why would you want to catch a ray? I spew everytime I get one, and in pummicestone where i fish a lot they are in plague numbers.

anybody got any ideas or theory's as to why there are so many threadies caught in the brissie river but I hear of almost none being caught around the sunshine coast. only the occasional one out of th noosa river system. I would have thought were further north here so we would get more.

Lee

Archived