$3 Rod Fishing Challenge

fifis101

Hello everyone,

I was in Kmart the other day and why the Mrs was looking at clothes I thought I have a squiz at the fishing gear. While I was I came across these, $3 rod and reel setups!

post-11477-144598976703_thumb.jpg

I couldn't believe how cheap these things were. Yes these setups are the most basic thing you could think of but it got me thinking. How about we start a bragging competition and see what fish we can catch with one of these rigs. Nothing serious, just an opened ended comp for people to really show how good of a fisher person they are.

My mate bought one of these when we went fishing one day off the beach as he wasnt willing to pay any more than that. First cast with a 25gm metal and the top 10cm of the rod followed it into the surf and snapped the line in the process. In my mind it was worth the $5 I havent laughed that hard in years! :side: :woohoo: :P :evil:

Im in, ill eftpos one on my way home,

Rule one is that nothing can be modified on the reel though, lets keep this basic chaps

Callum

So we can't retrofit a $300 reel handle and knob and add some $100 braid.

You are taking all the fun out of it now Callum. :P:P:P:P:P

You may get let off with a handle mod :whistle:

A situation is going.to occut where by the jig head is worth more than the combo :)

I'm keen. Years ago I was determined to get a 80-90cm bully on one of those things, as I knew it could be done...

Just never got a bite :|

Can't wait to pick one up and take it offshore for some snapper. haha.

Wonder how it'll go against those 80cm snapps :unsure:

That's it guys. I want to see these setups pushed to the limits but NO MODS. They are to be used as is. You can even use the float and hooks provided ;) .

Sorry Ellicat, sounds like you not allowed to play.....

Used to do this with Kmart specials when I was a teenager, spent friday nights down the river mouth with my mates. We used to need 3 or 4 of them to get through the night.

So has anyone got one yet? Has anyone caught anything yet?

Uthrax, thanx for the update on the Loganholme store.

What do you need grease for? I would have though the reel would run like a dream with out it ;) .

As this can't really be monitored I'll leave it up to you guys on that one.

when i lived in w.a i was on a forum (still am ) and a few of the boys had a pink durango comp.... fish had to be caught with a pink durango set up..... i think a nice dhu fish was caught and a lot of fun was had... some of the pics were hilarious!

im off to kmart tomorrow and fishin on Monday so ill post up a pic if i get lucky with it ! hahahaha

Thanks for picking one up for me Josh.

Must have given me the dodgy one of the batch though! As:

1. None of the guides align

2. Bare threads, no epoxy (who am I kidding for thinking there would be epoxy?)

3. When you put the rod together, it looks more like this: ( than it does | (about a 15-20 degree change of direction at the split/joint

4. I can't even find the end of the fishing line.

Hopefully the weather gods play nice, I can knock out some work this week, and have some spare time to go for a fish next weekend! I'm sure if I go offshore there will be some snaps. I reckon there is a high chance the "Snapper" will live up to their name on this small $3 green fishing rod.

Who am I kidding? That's assuming I can set the hook with a Jighead suitable for a 5 or 6" plastic.

I used to regularly do it with my 4lbs spin outfit, but that was a quality braid out fit...

Josh; re the ballbearings. Not likely. Theres a very small (diameter) but thick plastic washer that would be considered the "drag" washer though!

Gonna try and get one before Wintercamp. Should be able to pick up a bass using a shrimp. Not sure about the hooks in the packets though, might have to slightly upgrade. Hope to have something for you next week.

A

I had a look for this at a couple of local stores to take to wintercamp. Unfortunately could not find the right rod. Saw plenty of $12 - $15 rods which were absolute crap so shudder to think what the $3 one would be like!

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the bump, but I just found these beauties at the local K Mart here in Darwin, can't wait till jamocarter comes up to do a $1 fishing challenge, I reckon even he would fork out for one the tight a$$ :P

FYI the price was reduced to $1 from the normal price of $1.87 hahaha.

post-11211-144598994231_thumb.jpg

Archived