A couple from today

tunafreak

Hey guys,

The bay has been full of longtails for the last couple months and I have been taking advantage of it and getting out a couple of times a week to bang a few...

I'm not usually one to do reports cos I hardly ever take pics to go with them plus I'm lazy and I also like to have the fish to myself :evil: , but today was different cos I took the misses out for a few hours to put her onto a longtail or two and once again they didn't disappoint....

All fish have been taken from surface bust ups using 5" jerk shad style plastics rigged on 5/0 1/2 oz tt head lock jig heads. They have been tough this year as the schools haven't been staying up for long but if you keep at it you will eventually get a school that will stay up long enough to get a hook up...

The attached pics are from today's little session, as you can see conditions were a bit hard to take... ;)

Cheers,

Al

post-11441-144598982278_thumb.jpg

post-11441-144598982289_thumb.jpg

Those conditions and fish look as good as it gets. B)

I'm keen to get onto some of the long tails this season and was not sure how my boat would go or how far I would have to travel.

I have a 5m hornet trophy and looking at your boat it would be similar, so quite do able on the right day.

I'll do a search on old posts when I have the time to give do a serious trip and hope for the best.

thanks for the report.

cheers Wayne

Hey Wayne,

Your boat will do it no probs, my boat is a 420 renegade with a 40 on the back and my mates boat that we head out chasing them in sometimes is a 455 hornet trophy with a 60 on the back.

Two of my previous boats were hornet trophies (390 and 400) and I used to chase the longtails in them also.

Cheers,

Al

Mate, I'll keep the locations under my hat, but I will say they are wide spread and there is allot of them. They can be hard to see as they aren't busting up very aggressively allot of the time and they aren't busting up for very long.

Once you find them though you wont miss them but you will have to do plenty of yoyoing between schools to get a hook up.

I'll also say when you do find them, don't give up till you hook up, I see to many people come through and chase them for half hour or so and give up out of frustration. Also, practice good etiquette, if you see someone stalking a school keep your distance and don't come in and have a go yourself, ping off and look for another school.

Oh, and be prepared to burn allot of fuel...

Cheers,

Al

Archived