Phosphorescence in the river?

kmcrosby78

Hi all,

Was just taking a peep at Nuggets site and there was talk of there being phosphorescence in the river ATM. Has anyone been out and about in the river/bay and experienced it in the last few days/nights? How bad is it and did you catch much? Was hoping to hit the river tomorrow arvo to try for a jewie around the 6:30 high tide but won't bother if this stuff is going to ruin my chances. Cheers.

Just got back from a donut session, although don't think I can blame the phosphorescence as I only noticed it once the run out tide picked up. Was already 3 boats around the sunken rockwall near the poop schute and two boats on the pipeline near the oil ship so didn't help my cause.

Interesting you say that Jeremy - anyone else had success when it is in the water?

We got about 10 bream last nite on the run out towards the month of the river. I did notice some type of glowing/flicker of light sometimes when we got a hook up (not sure if my eyes was playing tricks on me).

If there is phosphorescence in the river, are the fish from the river safe to eat? Especially interested as my missus pregnant.

Cheers

Hey Oz

Marine phosphorescence is totally harmless. most fish you catch have it in some form and varying amounts

marine phosphorescence, heatless light generated chemically by marine plants and animals. Bioluminescence is exhibited by a wide variety of oceanic organisms, from bacteria to large squids and fish. The light is emitted when a flavin pigment, luciferin, is oxidized in the presence of luciferase, an enzyme also produced by the organism (the chemical system is like that of fireflies). The light produced is usually blue-green, near the point in the spectrum of maximum transmission for seawater and most visible for many deep-sea organisms. Most of the homogeneous phosphorescence of the sea, the glowing wakes, is caused by the presence of blooming phytoplankton, notably the microscopic dinoflagellate Noctiluca miliaris, as well as some jellyfish. Many small crustaceans, such as the Cypridina hilgendorfii, which is 3 to 4 mm (about 1/6 inch) long, also emit phosphorescence when disturbed. Many squids emit luminous clouds when threatened. Some species of fish emit light in distinctive patterns or at regular intervals, permitting individuals to form or maintain schools. Some deep-sea fish, notably the angler fish, possess lights in or near the mouth with which to attract and illuminate prey.

Hey Oz

Marine phosphorescence is totally harmless. most fish you catch have it in some form and varying amounts

Most are totally harmless, but some forms of Marine Phosphorescence can be. Eg. Red Tide. Which is caused by an algae bloom and in some cases is toxic to marine species as well as people. This turns the water a red brown colour in the day, but causes the blue phosphorescence in the night.

Im not sure what is causing the phosphorescence in the Brissy whether its plankton etc or if its an algae bloom.

Archived