New to spearing

little

try down tweed river mate in n.s.w it is legal to spear fish in certain areas of the river you just need to get and fishing licence form a local tackle shop down there you will find octopus flathead black bream bream whititng we have seen a few jew come past aswell

• 4 months later...

I'm not much help to you mate but as a slight sidenote, a school of what I think were some type of tuna started working the surface at Palm Beach Reef on Tuesday and whilst myself and another boat kept trying to get close enough to fire in a slug and diver with another mate in a tinny went straight in, dived in and a couple of minutes later came up with one. Must have some balls - I would be too worried about what may be lurking amongst the mayhem ........

Good luck, it's something I'd like to do a bit of someday.

P.S. Bri - glad I was utilising Mark's burley trail and not yours then on Tuesday .......

whatever you do get on the queensland fisheries page and double check where you are allowed to spear. Forget Noosa river from the sea inward as we now have very active fisheries and polics looking out for spearos. Do the right thing and do not spear illegally and watch out for sharks as the bullies are coming on :-)

I'm not much help to you mate but as a slight sidenote, a school of what I think were some type of tuna started working the surface at Palm Beach Reef on Tuesday and whilst myself and another boat kept trying to get close enough to fire in a slug and diver with another mate in a tinny went straight in, dived in and a couple of minutes later came up with one. Must have some balls - I would be too worried about what as may be lurking amongst the mayhem ........

Good luck, it's something I'd like to do a bit of someday.

P.S. Bri - glad I was utilising Mark's burley trail and not yours then on Tuesday .......

Correction Kelvin, It was my secret recipe of burley we were using that got your fish. Sinkers at the ready next time ;)

A lot of line fishers are extremely jealous of spearo's and the fish they produce and the fact they are to scared to get in the water themselves hence the remarks.There are way more inconsiderate liner's then spearo's.

Spearfishing is the most ecological way to fish for a feed.

I'll send a pm with some places for you to try 'little', you will be surprised at were you can legally spear.

Palm beach is a great place as you can shore entrance. If anyone starts throwing sinkers at you or sling shooting them take their boat rego. as the authorities know the deal with the liner's and their actions through jealousy, or shoot your spear through their hull a few times.

cheers,

Matt.

Just to ensure myself/Bri have not been confused/taken out of context Bommie - he was inferring he'll be flinging sinkers at me if I drift through their burley trail again.

Kelvin is correct, we had the sinkers ready for him.

But I do get pis$ed when spearo's and charter boats for that matter sit right in your burley trail just passed your baits. When there is plenty of room.

Won't comment on the spear through the hull.

Mod Edit; Name calling is against the rules. Bri nor Kelvin were rallying for offensive action against spearos. Calm down a bit eh?

So I've re-read my first post on this thread because I was still bemused as to how people had become upset, and the only part where I think I may have been misunderstood was the following statement regarding the spearfisherman that jumped in amongst the feeding school of tuna/macks - Must have some balls - I would be too worried about what may be lurking amongst the mayhem ........

This was referring to sharks - hopefully it wasn't thought that I was implying that I'd be trying to hook them with my slugs? Not trying to start an argument but rather work out where I have been misunderstood.

A lot of line fishers are extremely jealous of spearo's and the fish they produce and the fact they are to scared to get in the water themselves hence the remarks.There are way more inconsiderate liner's then spearo's.

Spearfishing is the most ecological way to fish for a feed.

I'll send a pm with some places for you to try 'little', you will be surprised at were you can legally spear.

Palm beach is a great place as you can shore entrance. If anyone starts throwing sinkers at you or sling shooting them take their boat rego. as the authorities know the deal with the liner's and their actions through jealousy, or shoot your spear through their hull a few times.

cheers,

Matt.

For me the issue with spearos has nothing to do with jealousy. It relates to some, not all not respecting the area a line fisho is fishing. Also once they put up the flag there is a large exclusion area with no chance of redrifting the spot you have been fishing. If another boat came up and tried to fish under my boat and get in my way when I had been fishing a spot for a while I would be annoyed. I have had several experiences where I have been fishing a spot and spearos rock up end up under my boat. So 1 they are not respecting common courtesies and 2. I cannot go back to the start of my drift as I can not start my motor and move. This has also occurred when I am at anchor. Simple courtesies that a lot of spearos do not give.

Here is a list of closed areas:
/>http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/rules-regulations/closed-waters-tidal-waters

Of interest (taken off the above page):

"Southern Moreton Bay: Jumpinpin and the Southport Broadwater including the seaway Moreton Bay south of 27º42' S (Logan River)."

The definition of "Moreton Bay Marine Park" extends to the Southport Seaway so it may be a good idea to double check the full regs prior to jumping in at the Seaway, even give the department of fisheries a call for clarification. I was always under the impression the Seaway itself was off limits, happy ot be corrected on this though.

My favourite spot for spearing when i was into it was off Caloundra headland and off point arkwright. had to be a very good day weather wise though. Had a visit from a 10ft-ish stripy shark one day that took a speared fish, kind of lost all interest in it at that point.

Archived