Brisbane River 15/05/06 Milton Reach

Angus

well i got off to a slow start going for bream around the pilons of Oxley's Wharf. Got a few Cat Fish but no bream. Then it started pissing down rain on me. I was about to leave when BANG.

I got a huge hit and thought i must be onto a massive Catty, fingers corssed maybe even a school Jew. I never expected to pull out my catch which was a little Bull Shark. I was amazed as i had broken all the rules of catching littel toothies. I had dead bait (Pike fillets) and no steel trace just a 20lb leader. Luckily i nailed him right in the cheek.

It made me wonder as i had been bittin off a couple times over the course of the evening to what i thought must have been big catties. Im thinking no there may have been a few little bullies in the mouth the creek there.

Oh and just for general interest it was an incoming tide and the otehr high light of the evening was seeing a prolific number of mullet jumping about, (prob explains the Sharkies)!

Nope didnt measure him.

But he was a good meter.

And it was a pike fish fillet, not the eel type :P

But yeah he was a nice little shark. I know its past shark season, but im under the impression from some research i have done that the juveniles stay in the river for a couple of years. So i reckon it always worth having a crack! I think ill try the same spot next time im bored. Its waling distance from my house. And i could garuntee even a newbie a catty there.

Angus.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey im new and came across this topic. me and my mate used to go fishing off teh bridge at john oxleys and we have caugth a couple of bream i think botu 3 keepers and we also caught an estuary cod there. and alot of catty's but no sharks. we use steak ;)

jamie

Hey im new and came across this topic. me and my mate used to go fishing off teh bridge at john oxleys and we have caugth a couple of bream i think botu 3 keepers and we also caught an estuary cod there. and alot of catty's but no sharks. we use steak ;)

jamie

yeah i spose its a waste of steak but i have no bait shops near by. angus suggested to buy a few bags of prawns sum where and keep em frozen. i will try that when i can get to a bait shop. using steak most likely explains the catfish i catch :laugh: thanx dave

jamie

oh yeha feral no doubting they charge heaps for there bait, i scored well at the bp near brettswharf, i was buying 1 bottle of V, 1 bottle of coke, 1 pack of chips 1 pack of lollies 1 meat pie and a bottle of water + 2kg of pillies. I dunno if they forgot to put something through but all up it was only $12. I didnt do to bad, pitty it wasnt the case when we were fishing.

dave

Archived