no safety gear when buying boat

steveshortt

Hey guys just checked in to see if my boat would be ready for Thursday. . Brisbane Yamaha have had 3 weeks notice and still havent even started to build my package..

Oh and $20,000 OF BOAT DOESNT COME WITH SAFETY GEAR?!!!?

I dont think its fair I have to fork $260 when this will be my $60,000 with this stinkin company!! :(

I hope no one else has had this much trouble with other dealers..

If you purchase a new 4wd does it come with a bulbar and tow Bar.

Just like a car when buying a boat you have to negotiate what extras are included in your package.

And obviously they have to fill existing orders before recent ones are filled. YOu have to wait in line like every other person that has ordered.

If you purchase a new 4wd does it come with a bulbar and tow Bar.

Just like a car when buying a boat you have to negotiate what extras are included in your package.

And obviously they have to fill existing orders before recent ones are filled. YOu have to wait in line like every other person that has ordered.

SAFETY GEAR SHOULD BE INCLUDED.

Its not like you buy a 4wd then have to pay for air bags and abs. Its safety gear not extras like fish finder.

Indeed it is buyer beware with boats.

Anyone can build a boat, register it and on-sell it without having to comply with any regulations or standards!

Companies can pump out boats till the cows come home and only the market controls them.

e.g. they place navigation lights in the most aesthetically pleasing positions not where regulations require them.

The last thing we need is more regulation, but having no requirement to build to a recreational standard, and incorporating safety equipment, will result in lost lives, if it hasn't already.

20k doesn't meen they meet maritime safety either, was in a mates stesco that was issued a fine for incorrect positioning of the port and starboard lights ! safety gears up to you I suppose

Agree. Got a warning for same thing in a brand new Sea Jay with factory fitted nav lights. Emailed the company to see what they were doing about it and got a response with some suggestions for building a home made wedge to make the lights legal. I notice the later models have a more compliant set-up. So yes, it really is buyer beware.

Boats that are sold with safety gear usually only have the cheapest, most basic options anyway so bet to get your own gear. Your life, your responsibility.

Yeah, I think you should get the basic safety but on mine it was basic smooth water, Anchor, paddles, and 2 life jackets. Thats not good for most of the bay.

I had to get flares and V Sheet, maybe something else and as Old Scaley said it was not the best but at least I got 3m of chain (albeit light)

What are they giving you for $260?

I would be tempted to see if you can get cheaper but then I would get it somewhere else now out of principal and not line their pockets.

Shame they are now pretty much the only dealer for boat in Brisbane, I bought from Wondall Road and it was a pleasure to deal with them. They don't have the location now as they are operating out of Horizon Shore.

James

Steve

I actually agree with you, for me it's a duty of care situation and your spending 20k with them for Pete sake!!

When I got my Formosa they put the lights on the wrong point on the bow, the water police stopped me and fined me $250.

I was furious but to Formosa credit they fixed the problem and paid my fine. They showed they went above and beyond.

Like others have said fit them yourself and it will work out cheaper!

Bryan

I would say when you buy a boat then the inclusions of branded safety gear should come up and be in writing. I spent 23K on an 06 haines and it came with lots of goodies (almost full clears, custom cover etc) and the dealer threw in the basic pfd's which were a nice thought but horrible to use. Fortunately the previous owner had a few nice zip up ones and one fits me :-)

It is now I am spending more on things like cleaning sprays and lubes, more anchor rope and reef anchor, floats, nets and rods n reels and epirb, flares etc etc etc....The cost of the boat keeps going up and up but then you get that...at least my radio works and they did a full engine service for me.

does a new boat even come with an anchor?

I would say when you buy a boat then the inclusions of branded safety gear should come up and be in writing. I spent 23K on an 06 haines and it came with lots of goodies (almost full clears, custom cover etc) and the dealer threw in the basic pfd's which were a nice thought but horrible to use. Fortunately the previous owner had a few nice zip up ones and one fits me :-)

It is now I am spending more on things like cleaning sprays and lubes, more anchor rope and reef anchor, floats, nets and rods n reels and epirb, flares etc etc etc....The cost of the boat keeps going up and up but then you get that...at least my radio works and they did a full engine service for me.

does a new boat even come with an anchor?

no abchor mate apparently I have to buy that sep3rate too

Anyone can build a boat, register it and on-sell it without having to comply with any regulations or standards!

Companies can pump out boats till the cows come home and only the market controls them.

e.g. they place navigation lights in the most aesthetically pleasing positions not where regulations require them.

The last thing we need is more regulation, but having no requirement to build to a recreational standard, and incorporating safety equipment, will result in lost lives, if it hasn't already.

/>http://www.nationalsystem.amsa.gov.au/documents/National_Standards_for_Australian_Builders_Plate_for_Recreational_Boats.pdf

All included equipment is on the contract you sign when you discuss and pay the deposit for the boat. I know Brisbane Yamaha use this as they did it with mine. They would have even asked what trailer fitting you have for your lights so you can just hook up and drive away.

If you did want safety equipment, epirb, stereo, vhf, etc the price goes up. It isnt just the boat world this happens, its everywhere, cant buy a car with all accessories for free. They may be cutting their margins to get a good boat and price for you and thats why you've got a nice boat for 20k. Quite often people don't want the old bulky lifejackets they want the inflatables now. The stuff in the safety bags is AS compliant but its not the best looking stuff or comfortable. Seriously worth purchasing the stuff yourself.

All included equipment is on the contract you sign when you discuss and pay the deposit for the boat. I know Brisbane Yamaha use this as they did it with mine. They would have even asked what trailer fitting you have for your lights so you can just hook up and drive away.

If you did want safety equipment, epirb, stereo, vhf, etc the price goes up. It isnt just the boat world this happens, its everywhere, cant buy a car with all accessories for free. They may be cutting their margins to get a good boat and price for you and thats why you've got a nice boat for 20k. Quite often people don't want the old bulky lifejackets they want the inflatables now. The stuff in the safety bags is AS compliant but its not the best looking stuff or comfortable. Seriously worth purchasing the stuff yourself.

oh yea ill purchase this stuff separately but I thought it would be fair to come with it. They are so un organized. . . Last boat I bought they wired it up as it was on my car. Had to wait 40 mins for it..tgey didnt even ask this time. Because they are so big they just wany to get as much money in as possible then stuff how they treat me. Very poor customer service! !

On a side note if a company says we'll throw this in for "free" it is actually already included in the price. If you don't want it and they didnt buy it as a package you should actually be able to talk them down by their buy price of that item.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree with your comments.

Nav lights, life jackets and white light should be standard on every boat in the world!!!! They have a "duty of care" to the person buying the boat as they are heading out into a treacherous environment! After all its a vehicle?

purchase a motorcycle lights, indicators ,stopping red lights all standard! If you want to upgrade these to LED etc then sure charge for it. Don't like the bulky life jackets sure here is the upgrade at a fee.

I do realise the tinny market is tight as but some things should be standard.

Just the way I see it.

On a side note if a company says we'll throw this in for "free" it is actually already included in the price. If you don't want it and they didnt buy it as a package you should actually be able to talk them down by their buy price of that item.

Nav lights, life jackets and white light should be standard on every boat in the world!!!! They have a "duty of care" to the person buying the boat as they are heading out into a treacherous environment! After all its a vehicle?

Just the way I see it.

Going out on a limb here and going to disagree with you.

When did you last buy a motorbike and it came with a helmet included in the price that was not listed as a separate item on the bill of sale?

^^ Agree with batman up to a point, but then what should the vendor provide as part of the package? For example, you might buy a 5 metre boat that is offshore capable but you only intend to use it inshore. So does the seller have to include epirb, flares etc when you only need and want to pay for the basic safety gear needed for smooth waters?

Not trying to start an argument, just saying you need to work through the details before you sign the contract.

Hope you get it all sorted and can get on and enjoy your new escape machine. :cheer:

I mean they cant fine you of a day time right? Cause its the same as not having them (even not turned on) only need nav lights dusk to dawn etc right?

If they are fitted to your boat weather daylights hours or not you have the potential of using them during the dark.

You still risk getting pinged just because they are fitted and not in use

purchase a motorcycle lights, indicators ,stopping red lights all standard! If you want to upgrade these to LED etc then sure charge for it. Don't like the bulky life jackets sure here is the upgrade at a fee.

I do realise the tinny market is tight as but some things should be standard.

Just the way I see it.

Slight misunderstanding there i'm talking about sales in general and you never get anything for free. Its all factored into the price.

I don't mean standard accessories, ie something you would get anyway. If it is an extra like mags on a new car, led nav lights instead of halogen ones. If it is something they have to purchase and fit to what ever you are buying it will already be included in the price. If you wanted the safety gear in there for free the price you payed would have been $20,500 or something. The price should only be able to get knocked down by the seller's purchase price of that item, ie what it actually cost them, not the RRP.

When you cant talk a sale down on "extras" is usually because the seller/distributor bought the item as a package deal, a slightly increased price with these "extras". If you don't want them the seller has to rip it off and store it out the back and usually not be able to sell it. Good example is plotter with an included card. Card is $400 but there is never $400 difference between a plotter/card combo and a plotter without a card and you will never talk them down $400 unless they cut other margins.

We used to have this type of thing happen in our industry all the time. Ended up with a whole warehouse of unwanted stuff and the manufacterer charges a 15% restocking fee. I dont think our sales guys budge on package deals anymore.

End of the day it is all on the contract you agreed to, you usually can get extras at a reduced rate at the time of purchase due to them being able to make money back in a different area of the sale.

I purchased my boat in April last year. not only did it not have any safety gear, when i pick it up i found it didn't come with an anchor either. as i was taking it out the day i brought it i had to fork out for both the safety gear and anchor, chain and rope. no spare wheel for the trailer either, that apparently was an optional extra

• 2 weeks later...

/>http://www.nationalsystem.amsa.gov.au/documents/National_Standards_for_Australian_Builders_Plate_for_Recreational_Boats.pdf

bi-polar, have you read the link yourself? why have you provided a link that has nothing to do with safety gear or recreational build standards - which is what my post was about.

ABPs have been mandatory for new boats since Sept 2006.

Why quote me and attach a link to an unrelated standard?

ABPs can be purchased by anyone from Marine Qld. Actually, just about any boatie could engrave info onto an ABP and attach it to a boat, it's legal, the Standard is 'performance based'.

I can see the logical imperative that safety gear should be sold with a new boat, however there is also a duty of care by the retailer that the correct sizing be made available as well, particularly with small children. Also there needs to be literature stating the limitations of such devices ie( partially smooth, suitable for skiing etc only).

With everything these days if you provide a safety component you should be obliged to provide adequate training in how to use it.

Archived