Something new learnt every time out

sgcjames

Hi AFO

I decided to go out and try my hand at throwing a few SP's around the mouth of Bald Hills Creek on the Pine River, this was my first time out on the kayak in the in the salt beyond the canals at Scarborough.

So I unloaded the kayak at the end of Dholes’ Rocks Rd at 10am thinking it would be a nice easy paddle over to the other side, the tide was two hours in to the run out I threw one line out the back thinking to troll it behind at the off chance I might hook something. aaahhh well about ten meters past the boats anchored I hear zzzzzzz only to realize I had hooked the anchor rope of one of the boats so I turn around and realize I am in the middle of the current and drifting further away, I managed to make to the anchor line and tie a length of rope around it to free my hands to unhook my Z-man grub. I rested a few minutes and continued paddling to the other side the wind was blowing a little and as a newbee to this sport I did not know how much the wind can push you along, so I sat back and let the wind and current push me down to the mouth of the Bald Hills Creek thankfully the creek was sheltered from the wind along the edges. I had to stay at the edges of the creek to avoid being pushed around to much as I have no anchor something I aim to amend very soon if anyone can recommend a good setup?

I kept flicking for two hours with no success only one tap of inters, I polished of a one l Liter bottle of water and then decided to head home. Half way out I find the sand bar in the middle of the pine a nice little rest stop before making it to the other side a good 100 meters from the ramp I was aiming for LOL.

So what I learnt is I like the skinny water better, I also need to practice paddling in the Scarborough canals more to improve my level of fitness before I ever try the open water and to invest in a anchor setup.

As always it was fun though my arms are giving me grief now.

If anyone has any advice or tips please reply.

Cheers

James

Practise is what it all comes down to, being paddle fit is a must, and there is only 1 way to acheive it, and that's by keeping it up.

Dams are no better sometimes as wind is a problem everywhere, yes you won't get the current, but you will know you are alive if you need to paddle a couple of km's back into a decent breeze on an open dam.

Thanks for the story, you made my crap day seem that little bit better :evil:

Yup, wind and current are definately your worst enemy! I've only had my yak a couple of months and try to time tides to help take me where i want to go and then back again once it turns, but that hasn't helped the last few weeks with the wind howling up the river pushing me away from where i want to go.

The easy option is invest in an electric and battery! :lol: thats my plan. Doesn't need to be a fancy one, i think Jarvis Walker make a little 18lb one that comes up for sale around the $100-$120 mark occasionally, only has forward and reverse and 2 speeds, but when the wind and tide are against you, after 5 hours of paddling i think it will be worth it.

take the deep cycle out of the ute, pop it in the yak and away i go haha

when I head out into the salt like off scarby for snapper or even in creeks I try to drift out and fish with the last couple of hours of the out going tide and then drift and fish back to my launch spot with the incoming tide some times this plan work really well and I dont even need to get my paddle wet to get to where I am going or get back home and I can just sit back and drift flick placcies.

when I head out into the salt like off scarby for snapper or even in creeks I try to drift out and fish with the last couple of hours of the out going tide and then drift and fish back to my launch spot with the incoming tide some times this plan work really well and I dont even need to get my paddle wet to get to where I am going or get back home and I can just sit back and drift flick placcies.

invest in a hobie:

decide im still lazy and reinvest in an electric for hobie.

now: I might as well just take my boat hahaha.

Paddle fitness hasn't been an issue for me, i jumped straight in mine and could do 5 hour sessions no problems. The issue i've got it trying to get the Pro Explorer back on top of the Ute after paddling for 5 hours! :S but that's because the thing weighing a tonne to start with.

I can definitely see where you're coming from though Ant. I've only taken it in the river and creeks, wouldn't even think of going offshore/bay yet.

Archived