Monster Coomera Jacks Part 2

Bi_polar

Well my good friend Mark :whistle: and i decided to have an arvo session on the jacks down south.

I started early and wanted to suss out some new spots that i have been looking at and slipped the boat in the drink at about 1pm.

Once again the wrong time of day but it was purely an exploratory expedition.

I found some great new spots and a cracker Flathead spot that yielded 3 lizards over 60 in about 20 minutes, so that spot is definitely going to get caught with it's pants down in the next few weeks.

I chucked the boat back on the trailer about 3pm and headed up to the Coomera to meet Mark and do some serious Jack fishing as the sun went down.

We had a crack at a few drains on the way and i got a nice little GT in another spot but as the sun set for the day we made the call to head to down river to our afternoon spot.

We arrived and worked the spot for a while but just as the sun disappeared the magic started to happen.

We were flicking the usual stuff around when i remembered that i had been given some Zerek Live Shrimp by Justin at Victoria Point Bait and Tackle to try, well this was the best move of the day. I had only been flicking it for a little while when i got hit pulling it down beside a pontoon. Another cast another hit.... I decided to let it sink a bit when it got nailed and strangely enough it headed mid river. It was a wierd fight and a bit hard to call but it was taking some considerable amounts of line on my Shimano 5000 Sustain Loomis combo and we called it for a GT but with just enough light to see what it was, we saw it was a monster Jack. With heart in mouth and Mark on the net and a few solid runs later we finally had it in the boat. Just enough light to take some pics and then back into it. Nothing else was caught for the evening but it was great to get out with Mark and have a fish.

post-1650-14459899306_thumb.jpg

post-1650-144598993069_thumb.jpg

post-1650-144598993076_thumb.png

Great Fish Stu!

Good guiding Mark!!

I wouldn't be concerned about the fish swimming to open water. With a fish of that size close to structure, you are generally only going to land them if it makes a mistake like that. When a really big fish makes the decision to head for a pylon or timber, then there is not much that will stop it.

Cheers

Duncan

great jack mate one to remember that's for sure! it reminds me of the jack in my profile pick it measured around 55cm and was caught on very light line and leader and could have smoked me straight away into the mangroves but it decided to go straight out into mid river and we were lucky enough to land it after chasing it down with the electric.

Cheers,

Glenn.

Archived