Sharking off the beach

jack1

I've recently bought a Shimano TLD25 and it's matched up with a 5.6 ft boat rod. I've notices a lot of people use surf rods off the beach when they are sharking. I know surf rods are mainly for the longer distance of casting but since I'd just be yaking my baits out, would I need to put the reel on a surf rod or would the boat rod be fine?

It helps to keep the line up out of the waves as well. If you have your baits set on heavy enough weights then it should be fine.

TerryH on here uses a hessian sack stuffed with sand so that it will biodegrade fairly quickly when they take the bait. I think there is a thread on how he does it but i might be wrong.

Hessian bags are used for BIG baits. Big baits have a lot of drag in the current and need a good anchor to hold them still. Hessian bags are also easy to store and transport as you fill them up when your at the beach. Unlike a big heavy brick or rock that you'd have to bring along with you.

From the sized reel you have I'd say that the hessian bag technique is not really worth while as the baits you'd be using shouldn't have that much drag in the current. You'd probably be better off using a smaller rock or brick on the break away method or even using a similar rig shown on Texas Shark Fishing website in the Shark Fishing Handbook.

Archived