More Beacon Fun

RUSSIAN

Hi guys,

Thanks to whoever made today a pupil free day because Dad and I definitely made the most of it! We decided to hit the beacons again in search of some more mackerel. We launched at Whyte at 5:30 (late again…) and we were at the beacons by 6:00. It was a nice smooth run and I was surprised it only took 30 minutes. First plan was to jig up some livies and we only managed 2 small pike. We then did some spinning and sent down some lives however it seemed nothing was going our way. All offerings were refused even a kingfish swam right up to the pike and rejected it. After trying a variety of methods, I decided to stick to what we came for; to spin for mackerel. We just stuck to spinning and it wasn’t long until I finally hooked up. A nice 67cm specimen was landed! We continued to persist and we lost a couple of slugs. After changing slugs again, on my second cast, I was again rewarded by a smaller 58cm. Nothing was doing for the next half hour or so, so we decided to jig up some more livies and fish them. We got some more pike and 1 yakka and 1 very large herring. We moved back to a tripod beacon and sent the herring out straight away. After 10 minutes, Dads herring screamed off! After a complicated battle, we landed Dads first and PB school mackerel of 75cm. A fairly solid fish I thought! We persisted with more livies but only to find the pike continually got their scales shredded. Jew fish maybe? I wasn’t sure what it was… Any other ideas? Anyway we finished up at 1pm and headed back to the ramp. So for being our second time targeting mackerel, I thought it wasn’t such a bad effort. Hopefully next time we will hook into a few more. Also need to invest into a Minn Kota, as it would make fishing the beacons a lot easier.

Thanks for reading

Cheers

Anthony

post-4681-144599001248_thumb.jpg

post-4681-144599001265_thumb.jpg

post-4681-144599001272_thumb.jpg

post-4681-144599001279_thumb.jpg

That's awesome! Man the water is so calm! 30mins that's a good run, btw how big is your motor? And how much fuel did you use? I'm just trying to work out roughly how long it will take me and how much fuel I need to bring. Got a 2 stroke 35hp,and only have 35litres of fuel to take.

Thanks

Nice one anthony.

Some nice fish caught.

I started off fishing the beacons to when i first started venturing the bay too.

Its good fun espically when on hard.

Give it couple weeks and if you do it right should start averaging 15-20 a trip.

Also try the beacons further along moreton. They hold good mackerel too.

Shane

Nice one anthony.

Some nice fish caught.

I started off fishing the beacons to when i first started venturing the bay too.

Its good fun espically when on hard.

Give it couple weeks and if you do it right should start averaging 15-20 a trip.

Also try the beacons further along moreton. They hold good mackerel too.

Shane

Hopefully just keep learning and i'm sure i'll figure them out ;) My initial plan was also to head up further along moreton and give those beacons a try, however we just stuck to the 4 beacons this time. I'll venture further up next time....

Mackerel were taken on 20g and 30g slugs

cheers

Nice work mate, good that you got into a few.

I saw you and your old man out there yesterday at the Northern tripod at the 4 beacons , was a bit of a slow day and I had to move around allot but there was enough activity to keep me interested and still got a decent feed.

Cheers,

Al

Were you in the renagage 420 with the leccy? I had a feeling you looked familiar from AFO... I will say g'day next time. I am not a pro with the mackerel yet (probably never will either :lol: ) however I am still learning and hopefully will soon work out their routine!

Cheers

Yeah bud that was me....you're old mans boat is a bit of a screamer, what top speed does he get out of it ???

Not a whole lot to the macks, they are either there or not, some days they may prefer different profiles or retrieve speeds, they may also prefer a gold over a chrome slug at times or even some of the coloured ones that are available but that is about it.... I also find they prefer good clean blue water.

Cheers,

Al

We have only had the boat for around 3 months so just finishing 'running it in'. Its done 30 hours. So far we have gone around 63 km/h without flooring the throttle. I'd suggest maybe around 70-75kms/h top speed. Only one way to find out... beat the 30min run to the beacons ;)

Cheers

Anthony

Archived