trolling lure setup?

grantbudd74

Hi guys

Thanks for all the great help and advice so far. One day when the wind dies down im hoping to get out so in the meantime im learning and getting ready :-)

My troll setups are 2x TLD 25 loaded with IGFA 15KG mono and beastmaster troll rods.

The lures I have only 2 as this is my first try are Yo-Zuri hydro magnum 95g 180mm dive depth 7-9m. 2 for the price of one so I had to get them as they looked really good next to the x-raps.

Trying to save a bit of cash so keeping new equipment costs down is preferable. How would I run them? Im thinking have a wire leader around 30-40cm in length around the 40lb mark with one swivel to my main line and thats all.

Bri i have your mono rig to try but will wait until I have a few cheaper lures as these are $40 each :-)

On you tube I see people running leaders of 30ft and 80-120LB mono....Pretty sure that isnt going to happen but this was i conjunction with attractor lures.

Is it just a case of letting these float out beyond the wash of my boat 50+m and then put the boat into gear and set the speed to around 10kmph?

The lures are both the same just the colours differ...Stagger them at different distances or side by side? Attractor lures?

Im planning to follow the headland from noosa to Sunshine beach and then go straight out to the reef where I will set them up for different fishing like a balloon and deadbaits.

Lastly how much drag would you set up on the TLD? Given im running 15KG mono should it be around 3-5kg at strike?

This is all new unused gear and I have never trolled before but i'm very willing to try while en-route to the reef.

Also given I have standard port and starboard holders should I rubber band the lines down low to reduce the angle of the line and lure in the water?

I do have 3 way port and starboard snapper racks but can see the whole lot going over the side if I get a good hit... will use rod leashes just in case that should happen.

cheers guys :-)

Mate I'll leave it to others to give you detailed advice, especially regarding leader etc, but I'd suggest you take a look at Peter Pakula's website - he has different pages that cover all things trolling and although alot (if not all) of it is aimed at trolling skirts I'm sure the basics of what he preaches is transferrable to diving minnows. The main thing I picked up from him is that rather than the boat scaring fish (and therefore needing the lures way back away from the boat) these bigger fish like mackerel, wahoo and marlin are actually attracted to the noise and vibration of the boat and the whitewater and the lures should be set in this 'washy' water. Also I'm pretty sure you'd want them staggered to minimise tangling, especially when you get a fish on.

Another tip of his was regarding teasers to attract the fish - can be as simple as a 'tinny teaser' which is just 4-5 aluminium can threaded onto some string with the bottom of the can facing towards the boat so it splashes.

If you want to add to your lure collection Lance (Aussie123 on here) has Rapala CD-18's on his ReelTackle website at 5 for $100 and also has 5 X-raps for $100.

Good luck - I'll be going through this exact same learning curve early next year when my Dad moves to Brisbane with his boat.

hey thanks for the help ill check out the pages etc....Have been told to run around 400mm of wire with a small swivel and then straight to mainline....no mention of teaser lures so ill look into them...Im pretty excited to give it a try and that tip about the washy water area is good advice too :-) thx

Good heads up about the x raps...:-) Will see how I go with the 2 setups first..

If you want to add to your lure collection Lance (Aussie123 on here) has Rapala CD-18's on his ReelTackle website at 5 for $100 and also has 5 X-raps for $100.

If your just starting out, I'd avoid the CD's stick with floating lures until you get the hang of it, nothing as depressing as realising when you pulled up to do something, the 20 dollar lure has just sunk down in to the snags.......

30-40cm of wire is spot on but I still like to tun a leader for a couple of reasons:

If you have a few winds of leader already on the reel and the fish decides goes spastic beside the boat it won't rub off on the hull and you will be able to put more pressure on without worrying about the line breaking.

Some fish can break the thinner mainline with their tail, body etc.

Archived