First and PB Flattie on SP

Cowfish13

Wasn't the best days fishing out from Redcliff. We went to the reefs and had no luck (meaning not one fish:() so we went back to the Pine River and on the island between Hays Inlet and the North Pine River, I managed my first Flathead on a soft plastic. Measured 54cm and 1.07kg. It also beat my previous personal best Flattie by 3.5cm. It was caught on a 3\" Power Bait minnow in Pearl Watermelon with a 1/8oz Jighead. On 6lb Fireline with only 6lb leader. Sadly it had completly swallowed the soft plastic right down to its gut, so because it wasn't going to live, we kept it. We caught 2 fish all day:laugh:. That and a tiny Winter Whiting.

A few pics. [img size=374]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/29_09_07_1142_AFO.jpg

post-320-14459842764_thumb.jpg

You were lucky not to get bitten off with that much light line in its mouth. Good work. I find it funny you hadn't caught one on a SP when I have read about your HB success in Schultz. I've never caught a flathead on a HB but have caught somehwere between 30-50 on plastics. Maybe I should show you some SP techniques and you can show me how to get them on hard bodies. :cheer:

I just prefer using HB's. I find them more entertaining and easy because even if you just wind them in slowly with no rod movement, the lure swims back and forth where as with SP's, you have to do all the work. I couldn't beleive that he didn't bite me off either. The leader wan't very frayed tho. I guess those are the benefits of using good leader material.

Archived