Overnighter at 4 beacons - a no-fish report.

Seiran

Was planning on heading over to four beacons at around 4AM this morning, but after getting the boat packed last night, I decided that I had might as well make the most of it and do an overnighter.

So I hit the POB ramp around 9pm and was over anchored upcurrent of one of the beacons by a little before 10pm.... and that was pretty much it for the night. I sent out a livie on one rod and drifted pillies down to the beacon on my other two rods but nothing eventuated except for two unstoppables which took the pillies at around 12am and then again at around 3am.

As dawn started to break, the tide had changed and I move to the other side of the same beacon. I jigged up a few slimies and sent two down toward the beacon. Within a few minutes they were both getting hit, with the back end being taken off the livies every time I sent one out. I'm guessing Mackerel.

By around 8am other boats started turning up and parking right on top of the beacon whilst jigging bait fish and everything went quiet again.

And that was pretty much it for the day. No keepers caught, just a few very small fish which I think were juvenile parrot fish. when I got back to the ramp by around lunch time, the guy there who does the finfish surveys told me not many people were coming in with fish today.

How did everyone else go?

Same result for me today. Didn't go as far as you, though, just tried a bit of trolling around the reclaimed land and a bit of plastic fishing against the rock walls at the mouth of the river. I was out for about 4 hours and got one hit on the plastic, nothing on the trolled hardbody. I thought I have completely lost my touch, but I also ran into Malcolm from Fisheries at the ramp and he told me no-one had anything to show him. Great morning on the water made up for the lack of fish.

but I also ran into Malcolm from Fisheries at the ramp and he told me no-one had anything to show him. Great morning on the water made up for the lack of fish.

Malcolm (so that's his name! :S ) told me he heard reports there was a shark doing the rounds along the rock wall today. That might explain your quiet session.

When fishing the beacons, I use a small wire stinger on my livies to get the macks.So far, it has been working and the light wire doesnt put them off.

Better luck next time!

Anthony

Hey Anthony

Thanks for the tip. I was actually going to try adding a stinger but then once it got too busy the place shut down so I decided to throw in the towel and feed my remaining livies to the starving shearwaters that were floating past. My good deed for the day :woohoo:

Last week I picked up some of that light wire that you finish off the knot by melting the wire covering. I'll give that a shot next time I head over there.

Matt

We headed out on fri at about 4pm went out the pob got to the mouth first drift boated a 80cm Jew on plastic. Did few more drifts and nothing. So headed to the 4 beacons at round 6pm couldn't find any bait so went to curtian camped there the nite and got nothing. Heaps of mac tuna round curtian but couldn't land one. Went back to curtian got some small pinkies and decided to head back. Was flat as yesterday with not very much currant that maybe shut them down abit?

Archived