Fishing 1770 Reefs

aussie123

The long range weather forecasts were finally reasonably accurate so at the last minute on Wed arvo we decided to head off to 1770 and beyond to fish the Barrier Reef all the way up to Innaminka Shoal, a trip of over 130km each way from 1770.

We left Brisbane at 9.30 pm towing a 27 ft Noosa Cat sitting on a brand new alloy trailer.

Being its first long journey we did not know how well it was going to tow or if everything was set up properly so after an hours towing we stopped at a servo to check everything over and wait for the other crew and boat that was tagging along with us.

post-7680-144599009758_thumb.jpg

This other boat was a 7m Custom Cat, another awesome rig setup for reef fishing.

Here we found 3 out of 4 wheel bearings running very hot so I quickly re-adjusted the bearings and off we go.

Another 50km up the road we stopped for another check and only one bearing was running hot this time but we decided it was probably ok to continue at that temperature.

We arrived at 1770 at 7am with a quick stop at the servo to throw hundreds of liters of fuel and ice on board which saw the servo people smiling at us.

We headed off and planning to start up at North Reef and work North from there towards Innaminka Shoal but 5km offshore and one motor dies, a disastrous start to the trip.

A quick diagnosis sees the engine running again but failing about every 15 minutes under load.

We worked out the brand new fuel tank has some object floating around inside the section where the pickup is located and under higher revs the extra suction is picking up this object and blocking the fuel line and starving the engine.

We removed the fuel filter to release the pressure in the line and that allowed the object to drop off the intake and then running the engines under 4000 rpm stopped this thing being picked up again.

It was much slower travelling but we still managed to cruise at 18 knots everywhere.

This first day seen us catch a lot of nice fish including many Amberjack,Gold Band Snapper, heaps of cod and a host of other fish.

We got owned many times by large unstoppables and lost a large number of big fish.

Even though we managed to scrape up a nice lot of fish it was very tough going with large areas of normally very productive reef totally void of fish, something the boys all said they have never seen before up there.

At one stage we covered about 5 km without seeing a single show of fish on some very large bommies and huge expanses of wire weed.

post-7680-144599009783_thumb.jpg

post-7680-144599009795_thumb.jpg

post-7680-144599009806_thumb.jpg

The afternoon and evening bite was non existent so we changed plans and went in closer to some Red marks and to find some where to anchor up for the night and settle in for a bumpy night with about 10-15 knots of Northerlies blowing and a raging current.

We went to the first red mark and the sounder lights up with a huge show of Hussar and some nice solid fish sitting around the fringes so our expectations rose quickly and the thought of smashing a big red was finally getting closer to reality.

We did a dummy drift to make sure we hit the mark with the wind and tide wreaking havoc on us and once worked out we set the drift.

First drop and my mate hooks up to a screamer of a fish the moment his bait hits the bottom.

After a huge fight up comes a red around 11kg.

post-7680-144599009816_thumb.jpg

Next thing I get small bump and then all hell breaks loose but unfortunately the hooks pulled on this red monster of the deep.

We go up and set the drift again and baits go down and mine instantly gets smashed but I missed the fish.

Next my mate gets a good bite but he also missed the fish but it came back for another go and his hooked up to another monster but pulls the hooks.

By now we are thinking the lost fish will shut these incredible fish down so we set the drift again and next thing I have a solid hookup.

This thing went absolutely ballistic but I held him off the bottom and before I knew it up pops my first Red.

post-7680-144599009823_thumb.jpg

A few more drifts followed and a few more Reds lost with only the 2 landed.

While this was happening we called in the other boat and they jumped onto the next bombie a few hundred meters above us and they also had a great show of fish so we moved up there as well for a few drifts through.

We hooked and lost several fish there but they had gone off the bite now so we decided after 2 days with no sleep it was time to anchor up and have a feed.

We went to our awesome Red mark and set the pick but with the wind and tide we missed the spot but decided we had had enough for one day and re anchoring in 65m of water with 15 knots of wind and over 2 knots of tide was not going to happen.

A quick feed and some cold beers and we were off to bed for a few hours.

Next morning we ventured further North fishing all of the bombies and pinnacles along a ridge that runs for about 5km.

Here we pulled plenty of large Gold Band Snapper,Rosy Job fish,Ruby Snapper plus many other types of fish.

By lunch time things had shut down severely and we could not lose a bait any where we went.

We decided to head in towards Innaminka and look for some new Red grounds but the bottom structure was very scarce and hard to find so we went back out to the shelf for another look around.

Late arvo and a tide change seen a few more fish hit the box but it was very tough fishing.

The glass out conditions had the boys excited to try and crack a few more Reds as they say these are the best conditions to catch the Reds and glass outs bring them on the chew.

We ventured back into the 60 odd meter line a bit earlier this time as the fish were already on the chew the day before when we arrived at the spot.

Instantly we boat another cracking big Red and proceeded to lose many more before they quietened down so we set the pick for the night.

Once anchored we dropped a bait down and got a large red about 12kg and missed several more but we had had enough fishing for the day and decided to leave the rods in the boat and grab a bite to eat and get some sleep so we would be ready for our last days fishing while working back down the coast towards 1770.

This last morning seen a total wipe out on the fishing front.

Rock after rock was totally void of fish for about 20 km of coast line.

We needed a new plan of attack otherwise we were going home with sad looks on our faces.

We decided to hit the deep water thinking all those fish may have moved deeper for some reason.

We knew they were not anywhere between 50m and 150m of water so out to the deep we go looking.

Once over the continental shelf we wanted to look for a Bar Cod.

We found some nice bumps with huge shows of bait so we set the drift and after an hour we were again getting very disillusioned with no fish coming aboard.

Finally it was near the tide change and the currents dropped off a fair bit and the fish came on the bite.

From out of no where all these fish were coming on board and the ice box was starting to look quite healthy for the fist time.

Flame Snapper,Ruby Snapper, Rosy Job fish,large nobby snapper as well as Bar Cod to around 25kg and some Gummy sharks gave the ice box a terrific red colour.

post-7680-144599009834_thumb.jpg

post-7680-144599009841_thumb.jpg

post-7680-144599009847_thumb.jpg

We spent a solid 3 hours hauling fish out of 225 meters of water until they also went quite so with a storm front upon us and a change in the wind we decided to head back into the reef shelf at around 110 meters for one last bash before making the long trip home.

We found a few solid shows of fish including many Amberjack schools but they wouldn't bite except for the very odd fish.

We ventured further south and all of a sudden the sounder lights up on a nice pinnicle surrounded by very tall wire weed so we set the drift and drop down.

My baits got smashed before they hit the bottom and I haul up a double header of large snapper.

This continued for quite a few drifts with double after double of large snapper and Comet Cod with the odd Hussar mixed in as well.

Just before dark we decided we had had enough of the reef fish and with a reasonably healthy looking ice box we go for one last crack at another big Red on our way home.

Sadly we didn't find any this time so the decision was made to head back to the ramp and head home.

After a 2.5 hour trip in a healthy 20 knot Nor Easter we arrive back at the bar under a full moon to see massive waves rolling and crashing across the entire bar.

We had a massive spring tide running out and by this time the wind had generated near 2m swells pushing into the bar creating a very dangerous crossing.

We made it in ok but due to the angle of entry into this bar I would have hated to be in a boat under at least 7m in length.

Once packed up we headed off at around 11.30 pm for a very long and hard drive home.

We ended up with a total of 21 species including a fish I had never heard of called a Tile Fish.

Sorry about the bad pics but we didn't take many and they were all taken on a tablet.

post-7680-144599009858_thumb.jpg

Trip Species List

Snapper

Frypan Snapper

Flame Snapper

Gold Band Snapper

Ornate Snapper

Ruby Snapper

Tile Fish

Red Emporer

Rosy Jobfish

Comet Cod

Other Cod

Hussar

Pearl Perch

Amberjack

Bar Cod

Red Throat Emporer

Gummy Shark

Parrot Fish

Red Rock Cod

Nannygai

Moari Cod

Thanks Ted

Yea it is a bad pic and i did think after i seen it that i need to go on my first diet ever,lol :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The Noosa Cat has a full canopy the entire length of the boat and getting pics was so hard due to the shade.

Some pics had to be taken nealing down on the duck board to get the sun which was a real nuisance.

Awessome trip though with so many different species and many large fish caught.

Getting me keen to get back up there to those reefs again Lance will have to start planning a big trip with a few of our boats maybe nth west island to put a camp down and run to the reefs from there fro the week

Lances post reminds me of the week we spent up there Mark. It was such a good trip for which I won't forget anytime soon. :) Specially us rafting up for the night, that was fun!

My Yalta 555 absolutely loves it up there! :)

Archived