Spot over here, spot over there

benno573

Headed out from mooloolaba at about 4am. Conditions were ideal, some swell but only about 5kn ssw. Went to my first spot to target some reefies on plastics. Was very quiet, only managed 2 grassies and a stripy. Did not get a touch from a snapper.

Made the decision to move a bit further south, could only find undersized stuff on the bottom, had a shark take the floater but otherwise still very quiet. I had been watching out to see looking for signs of surface action, finally saw what I had been hoping for. We headed out, stopped about 100m upwind, rigged up a couple of slugs and started casting. After 3 bite offs I put some wire on but could not get a touch. By now we were right in the middle of the school, we had mackeral all around the boat and they were big suckers as well. I even saw one swimming along with one of my slugs hanging out of its mouth!

Finally, the floating pillie in the holder screamed off, we were on! A good fight ensued and about 5 min later I sunk the gaff in a lovely spottie of about 85cm. By now the school had moved so we rigged up more floating gang set ups and motored back towards the mayhem. Each time we did this we had a double hook up. It was insane. Over the next hour or so we filled our bag of 10, the smallest being 81cm, the best coming in at 97cm. In amongst it we let a few smaller ones go and released an undersized spanno as well. Saw a couple of cobia swimming around amongst the action but didn't manage to hook one up. By now we were both stuffed, the boat was a pigsty, so we headed back to the ramp about 1230.

Absolutely cracking day.

post-2244-144599011331_thumb.jpg

post-2244-144599011339_thumb.jpg

Next day i headed out to the pin with sparksie to unwind and target some whiting. Took a long time before we found the fish but when we did it was worth it. Got 9 lovely whiting, best at 35cm, only one below 29cm. All taken on yabbies. Threw a bream in for some variety. After an argument, sparksie took home the lot - I really didn't need any more fish! Turned the mackeral frames into a feed of sandies while we were at it. :)

post-2244-144599011343_thumb.jpg

Cheers for reading if you got this far

Benno

Nice work mate

Awesome sess on spotties. Good to see plenty around. My brother got on to heap other day too in bay.

What slugs were you using.

Man with spottie schools i find if you cast right in middle of school you get bitten off lol. I try casting on edge of them

Shane

Yeah did that to try and avoid having two hit it and to avoid the mutton birds... Still got the bite offs. Using halco 30g twisties.

Great stuff Benno, great haul and good fun too. Geez 97cm is an absolutely cracking spotty - any idea what size they grow up to? Enjoy those tasty fillets!!

Honestly no idea. According to grants guide they grow to just over 10kg. Biggest one I got was a bees thingo under 6. I want a 10kg one next time!

Archived