PNG Mission 2014

Angus

Hey guys,

Heading to PNG next year (20th-26th June) for a mission chasing Black and Spot Tailed Bass as well some pelagic action as well. Staying at this lovely little location called Uluai Island which faces the mouths to three remote river just across the water...

post-63-144599015682_thumb.jpg

Uluai Island is off the coast of New Britain and is Riccard Reimans new project. Riccard is the owner of the very famous Baia Sportsfishing Lodge.

We had the option to go with 6 or 9... At this stage we have 7. We will either need find 2 more, or it will be a case of whatever 6 pay first as was understood when we put the trip together. Just throwing it out there in case there are any other punters interested (PM me for details).

The dates were carefully hand picked to be the best possible. Every moon cycle there is a big white bait run up into these rivers. This white bait run sends the fish into a feeding frenzy, however this also dampens their desire to hit lures. The idea is to time a trip leading up to the white bait run (which thank god is predictable). This means the fish are eagerly awaiting it, and have spent the longest possible time between runs causing them to be aggressive, hungry and ready to hit anything! These dates have been arranged specifically the meet these timings.

The main focus of the trip will be Black Bass and Spot Tailed Bass (as pictured below)...

post-63-144599016093_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599016105_thumb.jpg

Jacks also abound in these systems and JP's also feature right up in the fresh although many anglers do not bother with gear suitable for targeting them... I will be :)

Plenty of salt water action is available as well with plenty of pelagics on the reefs surrounding the islands and big blue fin trevs available land based off the island itself...

Anyway point of the post was to:

a: build some anticipation for a hopefully awesome report.

b: inform of a possible two spots.

c: gee up the dudes already going :)

Angus

As far as tackle goes I think that will depend on the person. I'll have everything from the 6lb breamin' gear right through to 100lb popping gear... and most of the stuff in between (within reason of course). Will also take a heavy duty baitcast outfit. On trips like this I pack all my personasl stuff in carry on and the luggage is all fishing gear.

But once again depends on the angler, I just like to have all bases covered as I get side tracked easily.

And you really never do know what is going to

Happen, didn't think I'd need the light stuff when we went on our reef trip up north last year, but due to the weather the light tackle ended up being used more than the offshore gear.

• 4 weeks later...

1 spot available for this trip due to a bail.

Let me know if you are keen.

As well as the Black and Spot tailed bass there will be plenty of opportunities now as well to hit some reefy pelagic species etc as there are a couple of guys keen to mix it up.

Cheers.

Angus

P.S. email me at angus@obsessionfishingaustralia.com as I might not be on much for the next few days.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could borrow the VHS! :):P

Well it is real as now with flights and deposits paid for the confirmed members of the party.

Still got a spot left and very keen to fill it.

Riccard from the lodge has informed us he gets a fair bit of solo inquiry he has to slot into groups so we will be right either way but it would be great to share this experience with fellow mates and AFO members.

Angus

I wish I could borrow the VHS! :):P

Well it is real as now with flights and deposits paid for the confirmed members of the party.

Still got a spot left and very keen to fill it.

Riccard from the lodge has informed us he gets a fair bit of solo inquiry he has to slot into groups so we will be right either way but it would be great to share this experience with fellow mates and AFO members.

Angus

Mate if you have a VCR I would be more then happy to loan it to you, nothing like getting amped for a trip.

• 3 months later...
Hey guys,

Heading to PNG next year (20th-26th June) for a mission chasing Black and Spot Tailed Bass as well some pelagic action as well. Staying at this lovely little location called Uluai Island which faces the mouths to three remote river just across the water...

[attachment=69099]1_2013-12-16.jpg[/attachment]

Uluai Island is off the coast of New Britain and is Riccard Reimans new project. Riccard is the owner of the very famous Baia Sportsfishing Lodge.

We had the option to go with 6 or 9... At this stage we have 7. We will either need find 2 more, or it will be a case of whatever 6 pay first as was understood when we put the trip together. Just throwing it out there in case there are any other punters interested (PM me for details).

The dates were carefully hand picked to be the best possible. Every moon cycle there is a big white bait run up into these rivers. This white bait run sends the fish into a feeding frenzy, however this also dampens their desire to hit lures. The idea is to time a trip leading up to the white bait run (which thank god is predictable). This means the fish are eagerly awaiting it, and have spent the longest possible time between runs causing them to be aggressive, hungry and ready to hit anything! These dates have been arranged specifically the meet these timings.

The main focus of the trip will be Black Bass and Spot Tailed Bass (as pictured below)...

[attachment=69100]2_2013-12-16.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=69101]3_2013-12-16.JPG[/attachment]

Jacks also abound in these systems and JP's also feature right up in the fresh although many anglers do not bother with gear suitable for targeting them... I will be :)

Plenty of salt water action is available as well with plenty of pelagics on the reefs surrounding the islands and big blue fin trevs available land based off the island itself...

Anyway point of the post was to:

a: build some anticipation for a hopefully awesome report.

b: inform of a possible two spots.

c: gee up the dudes already going :)

Angus

Just a heads up this trip has been postponed until November due to a couple of people bailing for good reasons (work).

If you are interested inbox me.

Cheers.

Angus

Archived