AFO site downtime resolved

AFO

What's the situation with the advertising banners, does the site get paid x amount per click on the advertising banner......

If this is the case, and here is no requirement to participate further with the business than just to click there advert I'm sure we could bring in some cash

A click a day keeps the bills at bay!!! :)

What's the situation with the advertising banners, does the site get paid x amount per click on the advertising banner......

If this is the case, and here is no requirement to participate further with the business than just to click there advert I'm sure we could bring in some cash

you are correct Calum. They get paid per click. Not a lot but it all helps. The good thing about google adds is that you get adds that are tailored to your likes and activity. This way at least there is some sort of interest in them.

I myself would love one of these from miniinthebox for christmas "Watch Style Walkie Talkie with Magnifier, Light and Compass"

I've been in this business for awhile now, and have some ideas to streamline the website costs which I'll put out there.

If you visit www.linode.com you can get a dedicated VPS for $40USD a month for their middle classed offer. This gets 2GB of ram, when running nginx would prove ample ram for a site like this. This also includes 96GB of spinning rust and 4TB of bandwidth.

Then in order to pay for the site for a year you only need 32 club members as the total hosting cost would be 480. Going this way instead of shared hosting as down now would also speed the site up as you don't have cpanel and other black magic in the road. Maintenance would also be minimized as you control the total system.

you are correct Calum. They get paid per click. Not a lot but it all helps. The good thing about google adds is that you get adds that are tailored to your likes and activity. This way at least there is some sort of interest in them.

I myself would love one of these from miniinthebox for christmas "Watch Style Walkie Talkie with Magnifier, Light and Compass"

ive never had issues with bad credit ratings but theres something interesting about " aussie bad credit" thats made me click there add twice today... and if I forget just one part of their advertising slogan ill be forced to have another look tomorrow.

I've been in this business for awhile now, and have some ideas to streamline the website costs which I'll put out there.

If you visit www.linode.com you can get a dedicated VPS for $40USD a month for their middle classed offer. This gets 2GB of ram, when running nginx would prove ample ram for a site like this. This also includes 96GB of spinning rust and 4TB of bandwidth.

Then in order to pay for the site for a year you only need 32 club members as the total hosting cost would be 480. Going this way instead of shared hosting as down now would also speed the site up as you don't have cpanel and other black magic in the road. Maintenance would also be minimized as you control the total system.

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, we have been on a VPS for years now with slightly higher specs. Obviously the issue with managing a system yourself also means you are required to know how to. Which can be difficult sometimes being a guru in linux/SSH/php/mysql etc when we are not in the IT industry. Sometimes outside support is required which also costs money. On top of hosting costs there are all the usual costs with running a company as any business owners will know: accounting, bookkeeping, insurance, software, hardware etc etc. So it very quickly adds up and whilst it may not be millions if the site is short a thousand or two a year it can add up how much personal money is paid in. As you can see it is a very tight line which up til now hasn't actually been self sufficient. We will be working on ways to ensure it is to keep the AFO site running well :)

Also whilst it is easy to say only 32 club members it is actually alot harder that one might think to achieve this or make any type of sales.

@pancakes, without contravening the terms of Google Ads, we cannot say how money is generated from the ads, but members are more than welcome to do what they think will help support our site.

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, we have been on a VPS for years now with slightly higher specs. Obviously the issue with managing a system yourself also means you are required to know how to. Which can be difficult sometimes being a guru in linux/SSH/php/mysql etc when we are not in the IT industry. Sometimes outside support is required which also costs money. On top of hosting costs there are all the usual costs with running a company as any business owners will know: accounting, bookkeeping, insurance, software, hardware etc etc. So it very quickly adds up and whilst it may not be millions if the site is short a thousand or two a year it can add up how much personal money is paid in. As you can see it is a very tight line which up til now hasn't actually been self sufficient. We will be working on ways to ensure it is to keep the AFO site running well :)

Also whilst it is easy to say only 32 club members it is actually alot harder that one might think to achieve this or make any type of sales.

@pancakes, without contravening the terms of Google Ads, we cannot say how money is generated from the ads, but members are more than welcome to do what they think will help support our site.

Indeed, it is easy talking from the outside. I love my armchair! However, if some costs are towards paying for an expert for support reasons, I'm willing to eat a cake or two at my own cost... Aussie123 can vouch.

Seems to be a problem with the site not keeping me logged on, don't know if it is still being worked on but thought I'd mention it.

Pretty obvious Ant - they are planning on banning you but just haven't got round to it yet, so this is a stopgap measure .......... :P

That's ok I'll just do what all the other banned members do, setup a fake account and lurk in the background because they can't get enough of the place :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived