Sunken Treasure?!

Rocket75

Reading the tale of the runaway fishing outfit Feral posted just now co-incided with another story I was told today.

A customer was looking for a new overhead reel. When I asked him what sort of rod it was to match, he told me that it was a custom made graphite with roller guides, but didn't know much more. The reason being that as well as being a fisho, he is a scuba diver, and whist on a recent dive in the seaway area, he came across a complete outfit, the fore-mentioned rod and and Okuma overhead. Anyone lost one recently?:lol:

It must have been down there for a while, the rollers on the rod were corroded and the reel was all pitted and seized up.

He reckons that he finds all kind of stuff down there, golf balls, old outboards and lots of lures!

Has anyone else out there scored anything from the depths? There must be a veritable treasure trove down there.

Rocket

We once caught a rod and reel combo off Wellington Pt Jetty. The rod was in good nick and the reel worked for that night at least. We put some bait out on it and we caught 4 or 5 Bream:D.

My uncle and grandfather once got their reef anchor stuck and when the eventually got it off, there were 2 sand anchor attached to it. Aparantly the reef anchor (their's) had slipped though the hole in one of the sand anchors and the sand anchors were locked together in opposite ways. Both of the sand anchors are now being usedd.

landed a lawn mower in currumbin creek

plenty of shopping trolleys all ver the place

caught a stingray in tallebudgera creek that had a line hanging out of its mouth with an 11' fenwick light surf rod and a 6\"alvey at the other end

caught an uglystick baitcaster with a diawa millionaire on it both in good nick

and finally a brand new 4hp mercury motor in the tweed river while scuba diving, took it home drowned it in wd40 put a new plug in it and it went third pull

I reckon if you got some seriously heavy line and a big hook chucked it out deep at NPD and dragged a few big snags out of the water you'd open a tackle shop! I Lost about $40 worth in one spot the other day alone. Imagine how many big dollar lures are submerged out there.

jeff f wrote:

landed a lawn mower in currumbin creek

plenty of shopping trolleys all ver the place

caught a stingray in tallebudgera creek that had a line hanging out of its mouth with an 11' fenwick light surf rod and a 6\"alvey at the other end

caught an uglystick baitcaster with a diawa millionaire on it both in good nick

and finally a brand new 4hp mercury motor in the tweed river while scuba diving, took it home drowned it in wd40 put a new plug in it and it went third pull

Jeez Jeff, and here I was thinking that you went out chasing fish! Perhaps I better take along a metal detector and grapelling hook next trip and leave the lures at home!

Fishing off Canarvon jetty WA I watched in horror as my ugly stik baitcaster combo took off into the water (warning dont leave rods laying on the pier) after much cursing and swearing I resumed fishing with my other rod about half and hour later I got a bite but missed it but had some weight (crab came to mind) as I reeled in I spotted some line then woah and behold up came my combo :woohoo: much rejoicing was had :) and I still got it today

Gaz

In answer to chubbstar. My wife was shopping out at Strathpine the other day when she noticed a plastic bag on the ground.On closer peering whilst in a daze she thought \"that does not look like rubbish. If I knew what weed looked like I would say that is what it was\" After handing it in to the police and some friendly banter you should of seen the look on the nice young policemans face when she asked if it was not claimed if it would be returned to her.Children and grandchildren are laughing at Grammy being caught up in drugs

Dino

my lil cousin and i were fishing under boyds bay bridge in tweed - he set his rod down so he could get a dring and bam rod in the water.... about 20 mins later i snagged on to something pulled it and and it was his rod - it had a heap of line out and he wound it in and had a decent lil bream on it heheeh....

also sisters bf scuba dives at the sunshine coast - he collects the sinkers and sells them back out - ive asked heaps of times for any rods and lures but yeah i dont think he really likes me that much - at least that feeling is mutual heheheh

While fishing at the top of the NP dam out of the boat with shrimps I got a fish on one rod and while playing it, zip went the other rod over the side. It was a custom made job worth $170 with a $95 Shimano reel.

I left a note on the catch record box and got a phone call at 8pm same night it had been picked up on lure while trolling. The bloke said I just sold one of these to a bloke the other day[turned out it was me]. I said I have heard of after sales service but this is amazing.

My mate trolled up a rod at Baroon couple years ago, still had the fish on, it was still alive but nearly cut in half by the line.

Early this year I reeled in a line with a large bream on one end and a $10 rod and reel on the other [bummer]

Dino

I've managed to snag a baitcaster combo on two separate occasions: once in the brissy where it goes fresh and another at Maroon Dam. Both were in great nick because of the freshwater. Its a nice surprise when you think you've snagged another bloody stick and up comes your new rod and reel:woohoo:

When i was on a charter up in NT last year we were using loomis rods with expensive shimano baitcasters and i dropped mine over the side of the boat. Within a heatbeat I jumped in after it before it could sink and then i jumped back in the boat just as fast coz there were crocs everywhere!!!:laugh: :laugh: True story.

Rocket75 wrote:

Now Lukey, I'm just trying to figure out if that was brave or stoopid...the jury is still out on that one!

You did well on the b/c combos tho, not just once but twice you lucky bugger.

Rocket

:laugh: :laugh: I'd like to think it was bravery, but unfortunately i think it was coz I couldn't afford to pay for it. If a croc had got me I'm sure the last thing on my mind would've been my bank account:S

The whole thing happened so fast that the three other guys in the tinny didn't even know why i was making such a commotion until they turned around and saw me scrambling back into the boat!:laugh: :laugh: Good times!!

Archived