Awoonga 29-Sept-07

Schultzy

Ducked up to Awoonga with Longtail Tony just for a quick look on the weekend.

The water level has dropped quite a bit so many of my favourite spots had disappeared.

Spent the weekend exploring, throwing a lure at some of the interesting spots we passed. Well, Tony did most of the fishing. I came down with a shocker of a virus (Drs still haven't identified) and spent much of the weekend sitting in the back of the boat watching Tony casting.

Every session produced barra from a variety of habitat types. (Tony) got them from weed beds, standing timber, tobacco bush, bays, points and drop offs.

Outstanding lures for casting were SandVipers in metalix gold, chrome, ghost rider and citrus bomb.

Trolling in deeper water saw Vipers in Daly River gold and ghost rider working best.

Lake was fairly crowded but not as bad as it will be during October and November. Didn't see a lot of other fish caught. Many others were getting fish but only one or two fish for the weekend.

We found no concentrations of fish but got them in almost every spot we tried. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_5236_afo.jpg

post-108-144598428046_thumb.jpg

Dennis, I've landed barra in Awoonga every month of the year. August is usually very tough going and the warmer months produce more fish.

The best bites vary from year to year with changing water levels, fishing pressure, etc. If the open water bite happens this summer you should do OK right through until the end of April.

Terry,

That red line is a new Cajun leader I've been field testing for about 10 months. Have used it on barra from Monduran to Arnhem Land and haven't had it fail yet.

Also used it on mulloway to see if the fish were wary of the colour. Nope, didn't reduce catch rates at all.

Hope you have shook the virus NS, bummer sitting at the back while your mate catches all the fish:P :P but somehow I think you have caught a few on your day.

BTW I'll be trying rubber surface snakes on our trip, have you tried them yet? They look so cool in amounst the timber.

Tim,

The best would have been around the metre. We don't measure the majority of our average sized fish these days. Once you've seen enough it is not too hard to estimate length fairly accurately. We place more emphasis on getting the fish unhooked, (sometimes photographed) and back into the water as quickly as possible. Usually under a minute, purely for the welfare of the fish.

We do measure anything that looks especially large and usually measure the first fish of the trip just to recalibrate the eyes.

Terry,

The Cajun Red Lighting leader can be hard to find. Just to confuse things they market two mono lines. One (Cajun Advantage)is a soft, casting mono, the other, Red Lightning is the hard leader material. (MO Tackle list theirs on the web site as Red Lightning but it is really the other).

What I have been using for many years for barra leader is a prototype of the Platypus Hard Alloy leader, now commercialy available. If you can't get that try Platypus Game leader or Schneider green 55lb mono.

Terry,

If you are keen to try the Cajun leader, Fish n Bits in Toowoomba have it on the shelf. Dave and Chris can do a mail order for you over the phone 4636 6850(they also have lots of Vipers in stock).

50 yard spool of 50lb Cajun Red Lightning leader is what you should ask for.

Archived