Palmy 19/1/14

demarc

heya,

After working yesterday I needed a break and wanted to test my transducer move, so left Seaworld at 3:45AM this morn after finding tugger at the ramp and headed down to the Palmy. By the time we got there a handful of boats already were anchored up. I started a nice burly trail and wet our lines.

My old mans was the first to scream of. He landed a nice 80cm Spotty. It went quiet for us after this. My dad's friend started to get sick after this. She was head over side puking all morning with the other boats all cheering her on. Good burly trail! After 2 hours of hearing rulph... I handed here two phenergen and that was that, she slept in the halfcab all morn.

I dropped my Penn25W down with a whole slimey on. Ten minutes later she screamed off. I had no chance with this fish and he rocked me. This continued another two times. I got sick of this and through down my Tornos20 with 60lb leader and a big fat slimey. This guy went off. Got the gimble belt on, but he went round the anchor. We pulled it a bit and fixed the tangle and it was on. At first I made some nice headed way, but this got him angry. He screamed of tearing line of the reel with 6KG drag set already. I couldn't slow him. I went for sunset. He kept taking line... I tried to put some hurt into him but the leader snapped clean. So many big monsters there!

Next my floatlied pilly went of. I thought, GeeWiz yes a spanish... Next this fish started free jumping all over the place. I then knew I had a cobia and was in for a big fight. By this stage I've already fought 4 monster cobia and was totally buggered. I got into position and started to fight(on a 4000reel with 20lb braid). I had no chance, he'd run and peel of 100mtrs of line easy. I was patient and kept letting him run, then bring back what line I could. Eventually he started to wear and I gained more line then he could take. This continued for 15 - 20mins... I finally landed the sucker! 1.2 mtrs long @ 18lb. My first Cobia!

After this it was my old mans turn to do the big spew, so happy as a pig in sh!t I pulled anchor, said by to Tugger and headed home. What a day! I'll be back next weekend with bigger gear...

post-11167-144599024755_thumb.jpg

post-11167-14459902477_thumb.jpg

Nice Cobs Julian. I reckon with a rolling swell I would have been puking as well. Such a shame when you loose a fish to the anchor. Part of the reason I rarely anchor. Would be be a bit hard down the Palmy though if you didn't.

Didn't loose him to anchor! :-) Got the reef ball up, then un-tangled fine. He just broke me off on sunset drag.

Archived