New to lures

Mr alvey

I'm a longtime bait using fisherman and never used a lure in my life but heaps of other fisherman I know seem to use them with great results so I'm willing to give it a go . Can anyone suggest a good lure preferably a hardbody lure for bream and whiting and some techniques on how to use them

Thanks Sam

Whiting is hard for lures, you need a 30mm lure or smaller and they are not common. I use river 2 sea baby cnk 30, keep them moving, all the time, in water 2 to 3 foot deep as it floods over the banks works best. (even shallower if your on foot).. Cant remember the price, but would be around $10 would be my guesstimate. You need a light rod to cast these. (1-2 kg preferably, but a 1-3 kg will do)

My Favourite whiting lure is a little 25mm storm lure I got off Zimman before he went to the dark side and started dealing in Asian lures. Cant find them these days and I'm down to my last two :(

For bream there are a million lures, and thats what a lot of them cost, best starter option in my opinion would be the Micro Mullet, by lively lures, locally manufactured in Caloundra - as a bonus they are also a great flathead lure. You work these in a bit deep water, they are good for up to 2m in depth. About $12 each Get the,m from BCF or off the Lively Lures online store.
/>http://www.livelyluresonline.com.au/catalog/2

Also good if you want shallower water are the halco 35mm scorpions (ones with the bent bibs, the straight bib ones are not as good in my opinion), get these from Big W for under $10 each.

Best lure for mine is the lucky craft sammy, good for beginners as it is a surface lure and therefore you wont snag it. Put in the practice to learn the 'walk the dog' technique and you will find it a great lure for bream as well as many other species. Bit more expensive though around $20 - $25

Probably would be sticking to crank style lures as binder suggested until you get the hang of it. Trying to work a walk the dog lure might be a little frustrating for someone who is new to lures I would imagine.

My pick for a bream hardbody would be an atomic crank38 or a pontoon 21 crack jack just to get you started.

post-11925-144599029102_thumb.jpg

Archived