A trip to the cattery... 9th Feb 2014

Angus

Well Henry and I headed out to explore new water today.

Lots of potential but we did it tough slogging through hordes of fork tail catfish.

The first one I hooked literally peeled drag and I truly though I had a bass upgrade until its whiskered croaking head emerged. To be honest I would not have minded so much, after catching 9, as they do fight in my opinion way harder in skinny fresh than those wet socks in the river. However the slime left up to 50cm up to leader, thick and clinging is a put off.

Anyway I only have one photo worth posting... While still a catty it was one in a preferable, to me, variety...

post-63-144599029051_thumb.jpg

Ironically it was the most geed up I have been after fishing for a while. The scenery we covered was just breath taking and we will be back to persist as there has to be bass and the yellas in the system.

Cheers.

Angus

I'll put up some of the photos that I have up tonight. It was awesome to go out and see some new waters and great scenery. I can see why so many guys love getting in their yaks and fishing some of those skinny bass waters. Unfortunately for us, just no bass.

A big thanks to Freak Sports for lending me one of their personal kayaks to fish with. It was perfect for that skinny water fishing and getting through some of the shallower bits.

Sunnydays- not a steez. It's one of the Nordic rods that we're planning to bring in. Just gotta figure out which ones :D

I'd rather catch a catfish than nothing. They can make a 'quite' day more enjoyable and get the heart pumping thinking you have a good yellow belly.

Looking forward to seeing the new rod range soon. :)

Think I might move on my gunslinger and upgrade.

I don't get out west too often and find that I forget about how nice it really is out there. Seeing it at sunrise I think is the best time possible. Too bad i sucked at taking photos driving up there so you'll have t do with this pot shot I took.

post-873-144599029722_thumb.jpg

It was at a work colleagues farm that we got to access the water from and they showed us where to launch when we arrived at a gentlemans 6:15am. A drive through some paddocks (thank buggery we didn't attempt coming out here in my car) and we pulled up near the waters edge.

The pet dog came for a gander.

post-873-144599029728_thumb.jpg

Be back - just about to have dinner

great pics Mr Do, you 2 guys do any noodling? I mean catfish noodling of course :woohoo:

that is one fishing technique im not willing to attempt.

also - we're guessing that it was just bad timing or even techniques as to why we got no bass. Plenty of running water, some deep water in some parts and lots of structure. Maybe too much structure. Any hints from the skinny water pro's?

Bit hard to say without knowing or having fished the system why there were no bass around. If there were alot of gnarly snags then it is possible that you simply weren't getting your lures in deep enough, I've found with creek bass if you are launching well after sunrise you need those presentations to be spot on and basically on their nose.

Archived