Gold Coast Reefs

Miller 197

Morning all,

I’m planning to head down the gold coast to do some fishing in the next few weeks around Palm Beach and mermaid reefs, weather permitting. I was just wondering where would be the best place to launch the boat and head out from to get to these areas? We will be travelling in a 5.4m half cab.

Also, is there any known live bait locations around the place to pick up a few baits for the day?

Regards,

Chris

People do go out through the creek but it is very shallow and would be better left until you get some experience. As Benno said I would go out through the seaway. With slight swell and the correct tide it is simple to go out. Have a look at the link below for marks to start out with. I have circled the Scottish Prince (bait) and mermaid and palm beach reefs. You can also reliably pick up bait on the reefs just out the front of the seaway as well. Good Luck. CW

/>http://www.marinews.com/ps_map/

[attachment=70386]Capture.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks for the info fellas!

Does the wind direction down there make a big difference on the swell/chop?

Thanks

Sure does mate. In a 5.4m I would not want to be heading out there in more than a 1.5m swell with anything more than 15kn on it. gets pretty sloppy. Pick an incoming tide for the seaway crossing on the way out. Stick closer to the south wall. Watch out for afternoon NE seabreezes, can make the trip back from palmy long and uncomfortable if they get up to 15kn+.

A Southerly swell can reduce the size of the swell however anything with an Easterly in it will be exposed. Personally I will only go out in 1.5m swell and below and preferably between 0 to 10 knots wind. I will go out through the seaway in 10 to 15 knot winds. The big thing when crossing the seaway is to go out on an incoming tide. In an outgoing tide the swell can stand up. This said in slight swell the seaway can be safe on the outgoing tide, you just need to take it easy and ride over the pressure waves. They can be sharp so get people to hold on.

• 4 weeks later...

hey all,

Been out a few times lately with a mate in his 4 meter tinny heading out of currumbin and fishing around palmy (which was so awesome). Unfortunately me and dad haven't been able to get out and about around the goldy in his boat..

Quick question:

When heading out currumbing bar I noticed it was quite shallow even in my mates tinny.. was just wondering how others go heading out in bigger boats ???? (weve got a 5.4). as this is far closer then the seaway. When we came back into the ramp last weekend we say some 6m boats getting pulled out of the water but this was at the top of the tide.

Thanks

hey all,

Been out a few times lately with a mate in his 4 meter tinny heading out of currumbin and fishing around palmy (which was so awesome). Unfortunately me and dad haven't been able to get out and about around the goldy in his boat..

Quick question:

When heading out currumbing bar I noticed it was quite shallow even in my mates tinny.. was just wondering how others go heading out in bigger boats ???? (weve got a 5.4). as this is far closer then the seaway. When we came back into the ramp last weekend we say some 6m boats getting pulled out of the water but this was at the top of the tide.

Thanks

It's really only a high tide creek only mate. Going out this bar limits your fishing to the tides. Low tide, forget using the bar. This weekend has low high tides and the bar I've herd will be uncross-able. I'll be going through the seaway Sat to hit mermaid.

--julian

Archived