US Fisho alsoThinks PEW Stinks

Gad

Taken from todays Fishing World email newsletter

US fishos join fight against PEW's no-fishing zones

10 Feb 2014

THE US-based Pew organisation has come under fire for yet again failing to discriminate between industrial and recreational fishing activities.

Doug Olander, the editor-in-chief of the influencial American magazine Sport Fishing, lambasts Pew in his February editorial over plans to ban fishing around Bermuda.

This latest move follows the failure of Pew’s $10 million campaign to ban all fishing in Australia’s Coral Sea.

In his editorial, titled “Pew’s Tunnel Vision Helps No Oneâ€, Olander criticises Pew for ignoring the socio-economic benefits of sustainable recreational fishing activity in favour of blanket lock-outs.

“Unfortunately, Pew remains so focused on closing off the oceans that it can’t be bothered to disassociate even limited recreational fishing from industrial commercial fishing or seabed mining,†Olander says.

Olander then advocates for proactive strategies presenting anglers as “stewards†of the marine environment as developed by Keep Australia Fishing as being preferable to Pew’s lock-out proposals.

Read Olander’s editorial here: http://www.fishingworld.com.au/files/dmfile/2014%20Feb%20-%20Editorial1.pdf

Check out www.sportfishingmag.com for more details on Pew’s international activities.

Totally agree..

I have never been able to reason why the rabid ferals outside of the USA align themselves with PEW, a USA based organistion that has stated (on public record) many times, that they would never attempt to close US waters to fishing, as that would be detrimental to the US economy.

I hope no foreign force ever wants to invade Australia, our local dimwitted rabids would want to carry the invaders ammo packs for them.

I`ve noticed recently some of the self appointed ‘voices of the rec fishos’ and some fishing mags, including some Fishing World editorials, have voiced the idea that rec fishing groups should align themselves with the rabids when they share a common cause…. that is akin to giving away all your money and then complaining that you have no money

Archived