Freshwater rigs

Mr alvey

I recently went freshwater fishing with a mate who has some really different techniques when trying to catch fish . While I was just using a standard running sinker rig with a worm on the end of the hook trying to catch native species he was using a paternoster rig consisting of a 3-way swivel with a trace and hook hanging from the side of it then under the swivel more trace followed by a small teardrop sinker. Now I normally use a rig like this when fishing reefs only I use two sets of swivels and hooks and drop it straight below the boat whereas he was casting it from a bank however he insisted that it was a popular rig to use to catch native species . Is this true or is it another one of his strange ideas

Quite true one of the more popular rigs for freshwater fishing. Just make sure you only have one hook attached as two hooks is illlegal in freshwater. I dont use a three way swivel, I just tie on the tear drop sinker one end a swivel at the other end then come down about 15cm from the swivel pinch the line, thread it through the eye of the hook fold the line over itself back through the loop and over the point of the hook and pull tight.

Dino

Archived