How to handle redclaw

Mr alvey

After recently learning of how to catch them I am going to try and catch some redclaw however can someone tell me how to properly handle them without getting nipped as I understand some of them are quite big I don't want to sound soft but when I was first learning to catch sand crabs I got nipped at least 5 times and one of my mates up north almost lost a finger while handling a rather big mud crab when he didn't know what he was doing so I would prefer to get a feed of redclaw without cuts and sores all over my hands

Thanks Sam

Hello,,

yes the perfect way to grab them (by Surfingant) but I always tell people - specially kids is to give them a little shake or flick once every few seconds so there claws straighten out a bit and away from being nipped. If the greenies get upset to this bugger em as they are going on the BBQ anyway :woohoo:

One of the best ways to prepare them is cut them in half, shake and flick (once again) the Gyrup out, quick rinse. Pat down with paper towel, butter and squeeze lemon- straight onto the weber until cooked. You will have everyone and the non seafood eating people lining up.

cheers Kev

They have tiny little spikes on the outside of their shells. So I wear a pair of rubber gloves when tailing them as after you do a few your hands can get sore, and if you like me and allergic to them, can itch for days afterwards.

My technique is to throw tyhem into an esky to send them to sleep, then tail them. (Grab tail in one hand, head and claws in the other and twist, head breaks off for disposal, tail goes back in the esky)

Then grab the centre fluke of the tail and rock it back and forth until it cracks free, then gentlly pull out. This draws the poop chute out leaving you with a nice clean tail to cook.

I cook them like prawns, tastes better than any prawn you ever had.

Ahhh god i love a good feed of redclaw.

Normally end up heading home with a 50L esky full to the brim after camping

I recon the just boiling them and eating them like prawns is a waste

My best recipe by far

1. Remove the tail from the head & de-vain with the above method

2. Remove the green meat from the tail.

3. In a large fry pan or preferably a wok, get a good scope of Mild Chilli, Garlic paste & a good chunk of butter. (the easiest way for the chili and garlic is those squeeze tubs from the produce section of woolies)

4. Mix the three ingredients together intill they form a sauce.

5. Quickly throw the meat in the wok for around 3~5 mins intill cooked. Chuck them into a bowl and poor the remaining sauce over the top.

Swear to god it's restaurant quality and every time I cook this at the camp sites I'm guaranteed to get a visitor from the neighbors.

Here's last trips effort to lake cressbrook

This is a 110L Esky

738178_10151685877511011_889606372_o.jpg

Archived