New to fishing in SEQ.

joeltaylor

Hey guys, this is my first ever post on AFO.

My name is joel, and i've recently decided to get into fishing a bit more.

I have a basic tackle box, and a cheap rod/reel combo from bcf.

Unfortunately i don't have access to a boat or kayak due to funding restrictions.

I mainly go fish in at night, anywhere between 5pm-late.

Im located in logan, but places i've gone fishing lately are:

-Redcliffe - the fishing platforms in the middle of the bridge, long walk out but turned up 4 legal bream, about 4 baby ones, a whiting, and some baby thread fin. all were chucked back.

-Jindalee Boat Ramp- this spot used to be fun for catching obscene amounts of catfish when i had nothing to do, but its been extremely dead recently.

-Newfarm Park - Apparently i was at the wrong spot here, i was fishing under the bridge near the hotel, apparently i should've gone away from that area? anyone who can help me here?

-had a couple of trips out towards red land bay, and manly sort of areas, but i think conditions were way to rough at the time, and we didn't catch a single thing.

-also went down to tweed heads, got nothing, and then went for a drive all the way down to Hastings Point, which was by far a favourite spot of mine. Watching locals fishing for blackfish with seaweed, and pulling in 40cm plus fish, constantly, and laughing at me throwing prawns and lures around and getting nothing was cool. However i've bought a float and stuff as per local advice so next time i'm near there blackfish will be on the menu!

I'm not worried about driving distance or anything, would be happy to travel as far north as noosa or as far south as hastings point, if it means i can catch some fish!

Mainly I'm looking for some spots i can try where i could catch bream and whiting, flathead would be cool too.

suggestions for bait/tackle setup would be appreciated too!

also, i'm extremely new to fishing, so I'm really unsure about how different line works, like leader, and then braid and stuff like that, can anyone link me to some info on basic line and tackle setup so i can maybe buy some stuff if i need?

Big post, i know but thanks in advance for your help!

P.S if anyone is willing to take an extreme newbie out on a boat, or even just land-based and give me some tips and show me around, that would be awesome!

Archived