West End fisho

Egg Beaater

Gday,

Stumbled across this website with a search and it looks like its full of information about the Brisbane area. I am pretty new to fishing and living at West End I will walk down to the water for a fish when I can. I dont have a boat or anything at the moment but one day want to get a boat big enough to fish the river and bay area

Have only got in to soft plastics in the last couple of months after looking on the net about them but still like bait like prawns and mullet strips.

I hope to learn some more and meet up for a fish with people who know more about soft plastics maybe.

Egg

Hey mate welcome to the site.

Be sure to keep us up to date with what you learn and the fish you catch. The Brisbane River holds many a surprise when you work it out.

Feel free to come along to any AFO socials we may hold as this is probably the single best way to find out information from some of QLD's best anglers and meet some new mates.

Enjoy the forums, hope you learn as much as I have from 'em and meet a heap of new mates in the process.

Cheers.

Cheers mate and I will let you know what I catch and learn but reckon I haven't worked out the river yet cause I can sit down near the ferry stop and be soaking the same bits of bait for ages without a touch.

I think coming to an event might be the way to go, meet a few people and learn more. How often are they on?

I just want to catch something decent a bit more than I do.

Hey egg, welcome to AFO.

a tip for fishing in west end. There's a stretch of water where i think the bgs shed is (the one that is down the hill from the road that runs parallel to the water) that fishes pretty well for bream and ive caught a couple of flathead there was well.

Easiest way to get them is bring a loaf of bread, break some pieces up and let them float along the surface with the current about 1m off the bank. Just watch them and you'll see bream come up and hit them on the surface. Just chuck in an unweighted bread on a hook in the same area and you'll get them.

ive never done too well with plasics in that particular area but slow rolling small hard bodies like ecogear sx-40s parallel to the bank works well for bream and occasionally flathead there. And by slow i mean slow. Just enough to get action from the lure.

Thanks Dostyle I will try around the boat shed cause I know where it is. I have been catching bream about 20cm long on bread but but thought getting bait down deeper might get some bigger fish. I havent tried a hardbody yet, but bought some on Ebay they say swim with a joint in the body.

nah getting down deep in the river will generally only get you hordes of catfish. Especially on bread.

The jointed lure on ebay you got - how big is it? it it's any bigger than 10cm you might find it a bit tough. Something around the 35-80mm mark will be a more likely to get you bream.

Also - just to the right of that boat shed is where its at. Also - about 100m to the right there is an outflow. That's where I've previously caught the flatties.

Archived