Prawn Trawler work

pancakes_and_haggis

Hi guys, been abit quiet lately mostly due to work but also not been fishing much at all..

Doesn't mean i,ve been off the water though i've just been in it... taken up diving and had some awesome dives lately around tweed and North Morton.

but anyway back to the topic i've managed to score a job, through a friend on a trawler out of brisbane so ill be away this week and will post a report of sorts when im back.

cheers all

callum

Have fun Callum, it sure is a different world out there on the Trawlers.

Don't get too excited to start with and dive into the sorting tray without having a real good look first as there will often be some very nasty things mixed in the catch.

Bullrouts,Fortuscues,Stone Fish,Blue Ringed Occies and Sea Snakes are just some of the very common things you will see all the time and occasionally the deadly cone shell.

Be very wary when shooting the nets as ropes and chains can grab your feet within a split second and rip you overboard.

Also watch the swinging cod ends when they come on board as they can knock you out of a boat very quickly and don't ever try and grab them by the netting, only grab the short rope hanging off the bottom.

That will save you grabbing a hand full of something very nasty.

Keep an eye out the back on the edge of the lights over the water and you will see lots of sharks following the boat, especially when you start sorting the catch.

They are great to watch when they go into a feeding frenzy.

Generally when winching the daylight shot you will see lots of small Hammers following the boat.

Through the night its usually a mix of whalers,Hammers and big tigers.

Have fun and enjoy a few long hard chunders,lol

Well he sounds like a responsible skipper Callum.

You would not have been allowed on my boats for the first time in these conditions either.

I would have gone to work on my own because new deckies like you can get in the road or do something that can put the vessel and its crew in a very dangerous situation without even knowing it.

Offshore Prawn Trawling is one of the most dangerous jobs going and people who have never done it don't understand this, especially in the sea conditions that we currently have out there.

If the current is running, it makes it twice as dangerous in rough conditions.

Not only that, if you get severely sea sick you are no good to the skipper and any other crew on the boat.

If you were to be the only deckie onboard last night, that then creates a very dangerous situation when a boat is set up to run with 2 or more crew.

Anyway don't be upset, be thankful you are going to work on a boat with a decent skipper and not some idiot cowboy.

Too many trawlers go down with lives lost every year.

Archived