NSW Proposed SBT Bag Limit Reductions

Gad

Taken from Fishing World email newsletter

Reduced bluefin bag limits proposed

06 Mar 2014

THE NSW Department of Primary Industries has called for submissions into proposed changes to southern bluefin tuna bag limits.

The proposed bag limit changes to be implemented are:

Daily bag limit: 1*

Daily boat limit: 2

Charter boat limit: 6

*Currently 2 of 90cm or above; less than 90cm - 5 in total

A Species Impact Statement assessing the impact of the activities has been prepared.

According to the NSW DPI website, the Minister for Primary Industries is proposing to make an Order to authorise fishing for southern bluefin tuna in accordance with all applicable controls.

Fisho encourages readers to respond to the bag limits proposal and give their opinions on the change. We reckon that as long as commercial fishing for SBTs is restricted as well, it can't be a bad thing to adopt sensible rec bag limits for these fish, right? After all, how much tuna can you eat - catch a 30kg one and you have more than enough and can have a ball releasing the rest ...

We look forward to also hearing your views below.

Written submissions on the proposed Order are invited until 16 April 2014.

More info available at: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/species-protection/conservation/what-current/endangered-species/sbt/changes-sbt

Written submissions can be submitted by:

Post to: Southern Bluefin Tuna Order

NSW Department of Primary Industries

LMB 3020

Nowra NSW 2541

Email: fisheries.threatenedspecies@dpi.nsw.gov.au

Always wondered about boat limits, what is the anglers reaction?

Instead of 4 blokes taking one boat, does it encourage those 4 blokes to take 2 or more boats instead? Do they nip back to shore to bung the catch in the esky and head back out? (Not legal under that scenario, but a bit hard to police) Do they do a morning session in Fred's boat and take Joe's boat out for the afternoon session? (Which is legal in the scenario).

Or do they play nicely and follow the intent of the rules?

Being a catch and release angler, I'd definitely say that couldn't be a bad thing...I fish for the fight, not the feed. What it comes down to is people's attitude towards fishing, 30kg or even 10kg is plenty enough in itself! All too many people I've seen tend to take the view that throwing anything of a legal size back is blasphemy...but then they are the first to complain when they go out and don't catch a thing.

Definitely would like to see tougher restrictions enforced on commercial fishing though, if there's anything that damages the fish populations it's the big nets that wipe the area clear of everything.

Not saying people shouldn't ever take fish, Its just I personally would rather be able to go out and know the fun of the catch is there for me next time around.

Always wondered about boat limits, what is the anglers reaction?

Instead of 4 blokes taking one boat, does it encourage those 4 blokes to take 2 or more boats instead? Do they nip back to shore to bung the catch in the esky and head back out? (Not legal under that scenario, but a bit hard to police) Do they do a morning session in Fred's boat and take Joe's boat out for the afternoon session? (Which is legal in the scenario).

Or do they play nicely and follow the intent of the rules?

having observed others for over 55 years I can safely say, those that do the right thing now will do the right thing then, those that do the wrong thing now will not give a damn then :(

SBT are recovering. Commercial catch quotas have been increased.

/>http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/bluefin-tuna-fishing-quotas-to-rise-to-80s-levels/story-fn59niix-1226742029383

I am under the understanding that the recreational catch is insignificant, Its about politics.

I am also under the impression that the recommendations to the minister was to not impose recreational quotas as they are irrelevant to the SBT population (can't find the quote right now, and can't be bothered looking it up :-)

just to add on to commercial quota increases

Mon 17 Oct 2011
/>http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-10-13/new-hope-for-southern-bluefin-tuna/3570660

On Thursday evening at an annual meeting in Bali, the Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna (CCSBT) decided to act. Delegates voted to adopt a new management plan to allow stocks to replenish.The CCSBT has decided that the total allowable catch for southern blue will increase by 1,000 metric tonnes next year.

It will increase by 3,000 metric tonnes over three years.

Australia has the largest quota, and it has increased by 12 per cent to 4,528 metric tonnes next year.(2014)

"The scientific models all predict further substantial quota increases of 20-30 per cent in each of 2015 and 2018.

"The key point is that we should all be celebrating the strong stock, and working to ensure it will be managed effectively in the future."

Archived