Mt Crosby Weir

darkhonour

There sure are! Mt. Crosby is where I do my mainstay of fishing nowadays - just a quick 2 min drive from home :laugh:

ok here are some spots i fish:

ok so you obviously know where the wier itelf is so thats a good start lol. ok so drive over the weir across to the sports oval on the other side and drive right to the end of the dirt road, u'll know u've reached it as it kinda ends at a gate and goes around a big old mango tree. Park ya car there and walk down the path shut off by the gate. Keep following the ROCKY road, not the sandy path in the fork at the bottom. eventually u'll come to a fence that kinda goes in the water and a big pool that narrows into a fast following stream. On a high tide going out cast small light weight SP anywhere into that fast water and you should get smashed by some good bream, caught a 27cm fella from 1ft of water like 2ft from the bank. Its also worth flicking the SP's right where this narrow section peters out to as the bream also hold up there.

Ok so walk down to the end of the next pool to the next small fast rapids and u'll be fishing what i have come to call 'Eel's Well' (caught like 10 Eels on prawns in 40mins one time). This spot is excellent as it has a big pool adjecent to the fast rapids. Be VERY careful wading in this section as i have had MASSIVE bullsharks swim past me heading upstream and scared the s^%t outta me in the process :S Casting SP in this spot is a sure way to hook up to solid bream and in the hotter months some nice tarpon. This is where i caught my PB bream of 32cm to the fork.

of course, Eels Well is also a good place to soak a prawn and i have caught massive catfish, bream and tarpon this way not to mention the massive garfish and mullet that regulary smash an unwieghted bait!

so that a run down of the spots i fish BELOW the wier...above the wier is full of massive catties, lungfish and heaps of bass! but once again only attempt the upper reaches once it starts to heat up a bit more...thats when the big fish come out :laugh:

hope that was in any way useful sorry for the big post but just wana give ya some good spots to try out coz this part of the river can really produce some nice fish

here is some of fish i've caught within a 5km radius of the weir:

[img size=212]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/27cm_Bream_caught_on_Squidgy.jpg

27cm bream

post-1541-144598428616_thumb.jpg

I used to fish mt crosby a fair bit back between 99 and 02. Have seen many a large bass pulled out of there plus many other species. We used to walk down next to the bridge on the far side of the river and follow old tracks down past the 400m signs and fish all snags, rapids and holes from there down. Have not been there for ages cause there has been no rain. If the wivenhoe ever fills up and they let water out go and chase the bass there. They are washed down river and can not get back up the weir so are stuck there for one to enjoy. Hope this helps a little.

Last time i was there you could not get anywhere for the weeds. I was ike a different world there. A rocky bank we used to fish off of looked like a jungle. Don't know about now but hopefully it all gone. Fished it from a inflatable boat last time so the weeds we not a problem at all.

Yeah last time i was there, not so long ago, it was fresh for at least a KM downstream from the weir. The tide did not even get close to up there. Due to this and drought, finding fishing holes was tough. But there were a few i walked into. Mostly small bass and tilapia. If you want mullet and gar, they were there in abundance.

Angus

jeff f wrote:

pretty much salt all the way to the wier dont think you'll find much fresh water weed left any where below the wier

sweet, looks like I'll have to dust off the canoe in the near future:) That trip last year we saw some BIG bream and bass but couldn't get a lure to them:(

Gus, welcome back!:P

hey guys

second weir is downstream from the first weir. to get there you can walk down from the first weir and follow the paths... or you can drive over the bridge - turn left at the dirt road that goes to the sports oval - drive right to the end where the house that had a tree grow through it was before they kocked it down... and walk down from there,there is a few paths headed down to the water and its onlyabout 200m to the old weir.

Its tidal up to the three rocks that stick out of the water just below the second weir.

to get upstream, jump in your car with sufficient ground clearance (and rec 4wd, although we have done it in 2wd it is diffucult and help is a long walk) and at the water plant below the mt crosby hall (eastbank i believe maybe) you'll see a well in fornt of a car park go into the car park drive right to the end and you'll see a dirt trail. It is a public access road that leads to lake manchester road. back 5 years ago there used to be heaps of awesome 4wd tracks before the government got to them.. i mean you could spend days out here (it where i rolled my rally paj a fewtimes lol, look for the windscreen in the grass if its still there ha ha)

but if you park along this road you can get to the water near a pine plantation that has awesome bass fishing, its oppisita a water tower at the treatment plant for a landmark.

I've been considering trying out Mt Crosby weir for a while cause I'd heard good things. After reading this I think i might just try my luck there soon.

I normally just go to the Kenmore / Jindalee bridge for a fish when i get the urge, but lately it's been nothing but catfish and the occasional eel.

Bullrout mate I went for a drive on the weekend along that access road in the matiz (and god wasn't that an adventure) but I couldn't find anything except locked gates with 'authorised personnel only' written on them. Did I miss a turn or did I get the wrong dirt track? Or alternatively is it a case of legging it past the gates with gear in tow?

The locked gates have been there a while. I was there on Sunday and walked down past the old weir and caught a bucket full of garfish, and the other rod had a constant run of both types of catfish and 2 undersize bream. Not bad for a couple of hours away from the crowds.

Archived