Metal As Anything - Part Deux

basshunter1987

North Pine Dam is where all my Bass fishing began, and it feels like an absolute age ago that I used to walk the banks as the water level continued to drop down to 13%. Fishing was pretty easy for a beginner on lures, the fish were concentrated and trying new things often paid off. Fast forward a decade or so, and as the dam continued to drop once again I decided it was time to have another crack around the muddy shores of the lake.

post-12066-144599041043_thumb.jpg

These days I have a kayak, and a kayak gets you places. I had lost a bit of interest in walking the banks because it seems an easier choice to just whack the yak in somewhere. And navigating the grassy and timbered banks of NPD at full supply level is quite an effort! One Sunday afternoon though, I packed my backpack, stocked it with spinnerbaits (the best lures in the world, wink wink), and headed out.

post-12066-144599041052_thumb.jpg

The first afternoon was a beauty, I found a spot. And not just any spot, every single fish over 40cm in the dam was there! No word of a lie ;) I’d never seen anything like it, every single cast had hits, touches, hookups and….FISH. I quickly discovered that I had the wrong gear, these fish were brutes. While casting and retrieving, I found very few snags, but as soon as there was a fish on, an underwater labyrinth filled with trees appeared. Smart fish...very smart fish…very STRONG fish! 30 Bass later and it was home time. I was the most satisfied fisherman in the land.

That was the first day.

Schools of Bass appear one day, and then disappear the next, right? Not here apparently, because after asking Dino to do some research for me, and his trip yielding a similar result, I thought it best to get out there a few more times before they did vanish!

post-12066-144599041062_thumb.jpg

There was no trip that wasn’t worth it. LOADS OF FISH. Loads of really healthy, really chunky Bass. Some days they got smaller, but as they say, there’s always a bigger fish ;) Thankfully, Dino had been with me for the trips that needed photos!

A little on the gear…

I only have light gear in my arsenal, and after discovering these fish, I grabbed the heaviest rod I own, which is a light Snapper rod. I couldn’t care for finesse fishing after the first trip, I wanted the fish in my hands. I learned very quickly that my technique needed to be more ‘hook the fish, and put some world-ending hurt on it’ haha ;) I primarily used spinnerbaits, though sometimes even they were slow to produce. So Jackalls, metal blades and metal slugs were also loaded and effective. The slugs are amazing for getting that distance you require…all 600 metres of it. If the wind was up (which happened often), then I’d start with a slug to suss the area out. Spinnerbaits and metal blades have excellent distance about them, but nowhere near a slug. 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits are my favourite for these locations.

So, here is just a small collection of the hauls we’ve been producing. Some of these Bass were absolute perfection.

post-12066-14459904107_thumb.jpg

post-12066-144599041081_thumb.jpg

post-12066-144599041089_thumb.jpg

post-12066-144599041097_thumb.jpg

post-12066-144599041105_thumb.jpg

post-12066-144599041113_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Luke

Archived