A decent weekend on the stones: Trevs, Tuna, Kingies & GH

Angus

Well I have one of my better weekends on the stones.

Managed a broad variety of species and finally got a few legal kingies on the rocks.

Still need to gear up a bit more as my 10-20lb was still taking a few poundings to bigger kings. They are such amazingly dirty and challenging fighters heading straight for the ledges without hesitation and burying themselves in rocks and cunjavoi. I will definitely keep persisting!

post-63-144599042055_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599042061_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599042068_thumb.jpg

post-63-144599042074_thumb.jpg

Now I heavily deliberated whether to post this as I know the haters will crucify me for effectively killing a Giant Herring (it did not release well at all). I did feel really bad about it but landing a fish like this on the stones is hard work. He flapped around on some nasty surfaces of barnacles and lost most of his scales. I decided to post anyway as it did happen (no point avoiding that) and it was still a unique and unprecedented capture on the rocks.

post-63-144599042079_thumb.jpg

Despite being unprecedented dad also hooked one. He got some great aerial displays from this fish as well and as luck would have it after touching leader he flicked off the jig head and swam off without touching the stones which we thought was the best possible scenario!

post-63-144599042086_thumb.jpg

All in all a pretty god way to spend a Saturday with the old man.

Lost a lot of tackle though and when the swell picked up, wow. Lets just say this fishing is not for the feint hearted. I would also not do this if I was less than willing to run over rocks like a mountain goat avoiding waves along the way and I would probably not bother solo.

This was the result of trying to land the GH without letting it touch the rocks.

post-63-144599042093_thumb.jpg

Angus

Fantastic effort there Angus, congrats on an awesome session. I really need to get over there and give it a crack sometime - would love to see what my 8000 Stradic & 15-24kg T-Curve could pull up ....... Were you hooking them virtually below your feet or further out? I wish I could just click my fingers and be over there right now flicking lures for those fish. Thanks for the inspiration.

The problem is it is so different.

In fact it is hard to encourage it for day trippers. It really comes down to luck. It is either on or not.

I have spent probably 5 total dudd sessions down there for each "ok" one let alone cracker.

Sunday we went back and got a total donut.

The fish are in different places each time and it literally feels like you need to re learn it each time.

I try and hook the kings out a bit. If you hook them at your feet even the 8000 will maybe fall short as they just go straight under the ledge. It is a tough gig!

Angus

I was fishing around boatrock and the Cathedrals on Saturday Angus and we were looking at the waves hitting the rocks and saying no way would we be fishing there.

We were'nt real close but did see a couple guys fishing off the rocks......was probably you :)

Good report, you caught more than we did mate. We were drifting at 20kph over the Cathedrals and only picked up a couple of keepers including a mack tuna that is destined for bait and pots.

Cracking fish there Gus. Kingies are brutal off the rocks, great effort to land the ones you did! What plastics did the damage?

I would have taken the GH for a swim bait... :whistle:

Mate pretty much any plastics (5 inch armour shads, GULP jerk shads and poppy mullets and a few other randoms).

The clincher was in the leader weight not so much the plastics. Anything over 30lb and I just could not get a bite (except the golden).

as soon as 20lb went on, bang, action.

Angus

Good session from the stones! Have you tryed free spooling when they dive for the rocks? I had one wrap me up the other day three times and every time I free spooled it would un tangle.

Mate yes. And it does work sometimes, other-times not depending on whether the main line has found the cunji.

In saying that they are just as likely to run back in :)

To overwhelmingly successful strategy was to put enough hurt on to keep them high in the water column. If they were deep when you got them to the ledge... Pretty much you were stuffed even with fish much smaller than those landed. Bit of luck involved as well with which way they run etc.

awesome variety of quality fish B) cracking golden from the stones :woohoo: did the gh put on some air time?

Yeah man both GH caught put in some serious air time actually!

Very unexpected captures.

Has anyone caught one in the surf before?

The first time I saw color on mine the profile actually made me think bonefish hahaha but then it jumped and all became clear.

Angus

awesome variety of quality fish B) cracking golden from the stones :woohoo: did the gh put on some air time?

Yeah man both GH caught put in some serious air time actually!

Very unexpected captures.

Has anyone caught one in the surf before?

The first time I saw color on mine the profile actually made me think bonefish hahaha but then it jumped and all became clear.

Angus

GH spawn offshore Angus, pelagic larvae that move inshore as they develop right up to freshwater.

Elops are a very interesting fish ;)

Elops hawaiensis hahaha very good.

So where we caught this was just not common but not to be unexpected...

For the record mine was caught with a large school following it :)

Site casted as kings or large tailor and presto.

Angus

Archived