Jacobs Well/Pimpama/CTP

joeltaylor

Hey guys,

I recently got a temp job working at Stapylton, just a few clicks before the GEM.

I've been going for drives after work the last couple of days looking for a few spots to wet a line.

On Friday i went to a spot on rotary park road, i think? It was like a wall on the side of the road, and i caught my first ever small shark around 45-50cm. Put him straight back after being a bit scared of going near his mouth to get the hook! But i returned him to the water mostly unharmed.

Found a couple of spots here or there, but wondering if anyone could give me a heads up on some advice for some decent land based spots and techniques and setup? i.e sinker size, hook size, bait to use ect.

I'd mainly like to try and find bream, whiting and flathead, but i'm keen on just catching something.

Will most likely release any catches i make as i'm pretty hopeless with a knife.

I know a lot of people may get frustrated with simple questions like this, but i'm reaaaally new to fishing, and i'm quite passionate about getting out there and having some fun with a rod in hand.

If anyone has any suggestions for bait to use that would be cool too. I'm currently limited to frozen servo bait, but i'll be getting a cast net in the next week to catch my own, and learn a bit more about live bait as that seems to be the way forward.

I'm heading out this afternoon with a friend for a bit of a look around, and i would be extremely grateful for any advice that could be offered. I'm not asking for you to say SPOT X exactly here on the map, but just a general idea on where to go, as like i said above, i'm extremely fresh to the fishing world.

Also, if anyone is heading out in a boat anytime anywhere, i'd love to tag along, whether it be near logan/jacobs well area, or anywhere else. Happy to help out in any way needed if it means i get to go for a fish.

Anyways long post with no pictures which sucks but hopefully i can get some advice, so that next time i post, it will be with some pics of some fish on the end of my line!

Thanks in advance.

The Gem sells live bait - yabbies and bloodworms.

I'm a worm lover, so recommend them for bream and whiting. Feed them onto a longshank hook head-first.

The staff there should also be able to give you some tips on where you might have a good session - it's in their interest.

So i headed out after work at 4 yesterday, met a friend at The Gem, ended up buying some frozen "Baby Blue" for use as bait.

Headed out towards Rotary Park Road, but the little stretch i like to fish was absolutely packed out. Went out to the boat ramp near there, and same story, people everywhere. Drove out towards Cabbage Tree Point but yet again, there was about 5 million people there fishing, all up the beach.

So we drove to a little spot on Behr Creek, is the name of it i think. Shallowish water but i've seen a guy pull Bream, Flatties and some other stuff out of there. Had a few casts, and quickly realised that the bait was way too soft. It was falling apart the second anything hit it. Maybe i was hooking it up wrong? On my second or third cast, i dropped a flathead 2 metres in front of me, which was extremely upsetting, but i was happy to see a fish, because my luck has been preeeetty ordinary of late. Went to the other side of the bridge, in some really greenish water, and there was about 1321321312 of what i think were carp, big catfish and a couple of other things. Had a fish on the line, was bringing him in and then felt something hit it again really hard, then the line went dead, but had a bit of weight in it. Pulled it in to find half a carp that had been pretty much torn in half by something. Went back to the other side of the bridge for a few more casts, and saw a group of what looked like bream, but my knowledge is pretty bad so it could of been anything, swimming about 20 cm below the surface. Had a few casts at them but they didn't want a thing to do with it.

Drove right up to the big boat ramp at Jacobs well, hoping to fish off the jetty, with some soft plastics but got out of the car and got quite literally swarmed by mosquito's. My arms and legs look like i have chickenpox. :sick:

After that we decided to call it.

Was an alright afternoon of fishing. Plenty of laughs and a relaxing afternoon until i got eaten alive.

:)

Archived