Quintrex 420 Renegade

WayneD

Who has one? What are your thoughts? Did you go tiller steer or side console? What was the reasoning for it? 30hp, 40hp, 50hp? If you got the 30hp are you happy with it or do you wish you went for the 40hp? Anything bad to say about them? Checked out some at Springwood Marine today and the bungee straps that hold the hatches down had all perished already, anything else that you have noticed wrong with it?

Seems like a whole lot of boat for not much money. Only looking at the basic 30hp 2 stroke TS model at the moment, for only $11-12K its in my budget but could stretch it to the SC for around $15K if needed. I really like the SC but for $4K extra seems like a hell of a lot extra for a steering wheel and less room in the boat.

How much does your total boat package weigh for towing. I only have an i30 but I don't reckon it would weigh more than 500kgs anyway which would be OK. My brother used to tow a 410 wide body dory (similar setup with a floor and 30hp) with his Accent so the i30 should handle it.

Sorry for all the questions but this will be my first new boat so want to make the right choice.

I always pictured you as a dyed n the wool hardcore yakman Wayne.. Even though you used to puntfush the Logan I wouldn't have picked you as a stinkster.

I have no advice worthy of posting or pertinant comment other than that I look forward to reading your future reports and let's face it, at your age it's probably sensible not to rely on kinetic energy derived from physical activity.

What donk in the i30? I have a auto 1.6 oiler that pulls both my boats with ease.

Boat 1 is 4.3 clark abalone with 30hp 4 stroke merc plus kota and 120a/h deep cycle.

Boat 2 is 4.3 dehaviland with 2 leccys 3/120 a/h 12v deep cycles plus 4 x 200a/h 6volt deep cycles.

Tows much better than my old 2.7 l hilux.

Averages just under 9l per 100k.

If there will only be 2 of you in boat the smaller motor will suffice but would recommend another 10 hp or else you will have to get a smaller prop to put on if you are going out with a load.

Cheers

Ray

wayne i would go for the 40 or better go for max hp that the hull will allow .i had a 4meter seajay with a 30 on was good for2 people and all the gear but with 3 persons on very hard to get up on plain . so after 6 months i put a 40 hp on and much better . both motors were new . ;) al

Dont forget the two stroke will keep you out of a few dams (unless you use the yak)

Dino

Already gave thought to that Dino but I hardly fish the dams anyway so seems pointless forking out the extra dollars for a 4 stroke just for that reason.

What donk in the i30?

If there will only be 2 of you in boat the smaller motor will suffice but would recommend another 10 hp or else you will have to get a smaller prop to put on if you are going out with a load.

Cheers

Ray

I've got the manual 6 speed diesel, GD model. It's only 1.5L from memory but has heaps of torque so don't think it will be a problem. I currently get 5.2L/100KM. 5.4 if I have one yak on top and 5.6 if I have two yaks on top.

Most of the time will only be 2 adults or me and my 2 girls (8&6yrs old)

wayne i would go for the 40 or better go for max hp that the hull will allow .i had a 4meter seajay with a 30 on was good for2 people and all the gear but with 3 persons on very hard to get up on plain . so after 6 months i put a 40 hp on and much better . both motors were new . ;) al

Thanks for the advice Al. Caloundra Marine are advertising one with a 40hp for $11990 which is only $1000 more than the 30hp.

I reckon the renegade is over priced, similar spec 4.2 with 30s can be had for $9-10k mark,

4.2 is too small for a console I reckon too, takes up too much room in a small boat

Serious? Full floor, plumbed livewell, etc,etc. Please do tell me what I have missed. I must be honest I really haven't looked at much more than the Quintrex range. I was searching for a 2nd hand Hornet Trophy or a Stacer Proline Angler but when I saw this for brand new I thought it was an excellent price!

I agree the console takes up room but then again I am used to having no room in the kayaks so...although being able to sleep in it overnight would be a bonus for my kid free weekends ;)

Don't get me wrong, I like them too, they look well built etc, but here's a comparo

/>http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=14454779&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=0&eapi=2

Or

/>http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=23673742&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=1&eapi=2

Now getting more like the renegade, but cheaper

/>http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=16626647&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=6&eapi=2

Last one

/>http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=12295996&Silo=Stock&Vertical=Boat&Ridx=4&eapi=2

If you decide to go four stroke I think you will really benefit come resale time, two strokes are becoming harder to move, even etecs and the like

Hey Wayne,

I have a 420 Renegade side cosole, painted hull, 50L underfloor fuel tank, 50HP 2 stroke Mecury, live well under the front casting deck, a live baint tank under the rear all plumbed in, HDS 7 Gen 2 Touch and i-Pilot

I have had it for about 12 months and I love it and have had no issues with the boat, I had a few issues with the donk but it is all sorted now. It goes really well and pretty much suits my fishing down to a tee………The best thing about this boat is the hull……solid as and very dry for an open boat. That millennium hull really does the job well, I can turn really hard full noise and it turns flat as.

My only real complaint is Springwood Marine…..I would never deal with them again, it was easily the worst experience dealing with them and I have taken my boat elsewhere to get the issues fixed and now it is serviced by another dealer……….I am not joking when I say this, stay away from them and buy it from someone else.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks max pwr,

It has been great so far, I take it all over the bay, brissie river, the pin and broad water mainly……..the occasional trip to Maroon, I can't fault it and have no desire to get bigger……..don't be fooled by the side console taking up too much space, the beam is about 2m so there is alot more room than you would think.

I am over in WA at the moment working but I get home to brissy next week. Wayne, I can take you for a run in it if you want to see what it goes like after I get home if you want. I will be keen to wet a line anyway so cool for you to tag a long.

Thanks for your input Bill. That's where I went to have a look at them but I wasn't going to buy there as I have heard the same thing from other people. That's a schmick looking rig. Mine would look no where near that nice if I end up getting it. I've got to sell off a few more toys (Hilux, kayak and current tinny and if need be, but I hope I don't have to, my Gemini Coupe) before checking the bank balance and making the decision of what to get.

I would love to get the painted hull, underfloor fuel tank, HDS 7, bow mount electric and a 40hp on the back if I can afford it, maybe a little loan from the bank to get me over the line is in order, but then it starts being not such a cheap tinny...

I am over in WA at the moment working but I get home to brissy next week. Wayne, I can take you for a run in it if you want to see what it goes like after I get home if you want. I will be keen to wet a line anyway so cool for you to tag a long.

An on water test would be awesome. Let me know when you're home and we'll tee something up.

Have you had a look at the Smartwave 4200? Very much like the Polycraft's but lighter with the way they are made. Very good reviews on the Smartwaves, like most boats that come out of NZ.

/>http://www.pacificmarinecentre.com.au/work-view/420-smart-wave/

Gday to all..

{My first post here,and awesome thread,,,thanks for a great thread mate}..

I have "JUST " signed up on a 420 Renegade as I TRADED my 2002 Quintrex 3.75 Dart which had a 15 HP 2 Stroke Merc on it,,was all brand new back in 2002 for the Renegade..

Sadly,,I have to wait 5 weeks for it to come from Brissie even though it be UNPAINTED and NO SIDE Console as I personally like a T/S & wanted a simple Plain Jane SO TO SPEAK BOAT..

My Renegade be fitted with a 30HP 2 Stroke Merc on a Quintrex Trailer with all obvious Specs on the boat and I cannot wait till I get it,,Anyone be able to tell me on how well it SHOULD be on fuel whether its in Rough Water or smoother water and carrying 3 adults ?..

I am from Nowra,,be fishing Jervis Bay and around the St.Georges Basin area ..

I know I am asking a bit much here,,who can tell me on what they ride like in rough water and will that set up {420 Renegade,,30hp 2 Stroke} be any good for OUT SIDE fishing or only be for INSHORE ????

Cheers Guys and thanx for an AWESOME THREAD and Forum,,I look forward on posting pix of the boat,,fish ETC..

Cheers & Happy Easter to all

Craig

Hey Craig,

Like I said earlier I have the 50 2 stroke Merc on mine but I am pretty happy with the fuel consumption. It is a heavy boat as I had a savage 450 before this and it is easily heavier than that. I wouldn't know how it would go with a 30 but my cousin rathabfishn2 has 40 on his and his is pretty good too.

I have not had mine offshore yet mainly because of weather/work commitments and I had some issues early on with my donk and I wanted to get some confidence back in it before I ventured out. I will do it soon and reckon it will be good in the right conditions. I have been caught out in Moreton bay with surprise 25knot SE which can get really rough……..it was pretty good, just had to be a bit more careful on my way back in. It is surprising how good it is in rough chop, does inspire a bit of confidence. Most of my fishing is in the bay, brissie river and jumpinpin area.

Basically I reckon it is great and I will be hanging onto this boat for quite a while……ticks all the boxes for me.

Morning Bill_V

Many of thanx for your Input..

I certainly like your photo of your BEAST and may I thankyou for posting a photo of your boat here for us to see it too. :)

I like the side console and it all been painted PLUS as silly as it is,,the Stainless Steel Prop finishes it off really nicely,,darn I hate my mrs LOL,,{Joke} not allowing me to go that extra mile now,,na I am seriously happy on what I am getting and cannot wait..

It be towed behind a 2007 model 2.4 litre Auto Lancer so I hope the poor little lancer is going to have the legs to do it as its the only car we have..

I am paying $9,000 NEAT for the boat as I was given $3,000 for my other boat and paying cach on the balance ,he took $1,000 and my wife was HAPPY for me to do that deal,,,as long as the mrs is happy,,,not problems in my eyes..LOL.

{Where exactly is Brisbane Waters?..is that the Central Coast or up in Brisbane itself?}

Cheers mate and Thank you AGAIN

Craig

Morning to ALL..

My Renegade has FINALLY arrived at Nowra Marine yesterday,,,i am like a kid at a toy shop,,,couldn't resist,,had to take my camera out there to take a few pix whilst there doing a few things to it,,{yes getting in the road..LOL}

I will NOT be picking it up for 5 weeks YET !! :(

post-14347-144599044591_thumb.jpg

post-14347-144599044603_thumb.jpg

post-14347-144599044612_thumb.jpg

post-14347-144599044621_thumb.jpg

post-14347-144599044631_thumb.jpg

post-14347-14459904464_thumb.jpg

Gday Sam..

Yes they do look an awesome boat,,i like the colour of Bills,...I wished I payed the EXTRA to get a painted hull..

I am looking so forward on getting it,,Yes I know the new toy habbit WILL wear off,,but ..Just want it in my driveway or better yet,,out fishing in it ..

I WANT a Great Snapper & a Kingie on the floor of it and then I be a Happy-Chappy..LOL

Craig

Gday all?

Can anyone tell me PLZ,,the Stud Pattern on the Quintrex Trailer,,as I seriously THOUGHT till today that the spair comes with the trailer,,OBVIOUSLY not !!

They want an EXTRA $340 for the spair and bracket,,bugger that.. :angry:

Id buy my own from a tyre shop once I work out or if someone can tell me the pattern of the studs,,{Holden or Ford}?..

Cheers Guys..

Craig

Getrigged, those boats you posted links to don't compare to the Renegades, not even close to being in the same league, the Renegade have 3 mm sides and bottom for a start, they have the millennium hull which provides a very soft ride for a tiny, particularly with the extra weight of the 3 mm ally, take one of those other rigs out on an angry Moreton Bay and you have to order a new spine and kidneys when you get home, take the Renegade out and the only thing that will be sore are your cheeks from smiling :)

I own a Renegade 420 and it is and awesome boat, most of my fishing is done in Moreton bay from around Mud island North which is the largest expanse of water in the bay so long runs across choppy condition is common, it can get pretty rough out there and the little renegade can take anything that the bay throws at it, it is a very safe predictable boat that handles rough water well at a decent speed, it is also a very dry boat, you rarely if ever get wet unless it's raining ;), very stable at rest too....

Good choice of boat Craig, you won't be disappointed.....can't answer you're question re the stud pattern but you can get a universal spare that will fit all stud patterns for half the price or less of the quinnie spare, that's what I did anyway......I also bolted mine to the trailer frame with a large U bolt, much cheaper than the purpose built bracket and harder to steal the spare, mine is also padlocked for extra security, I'll post a pic up tomorrow if I remember......

Cheers,

Al

Thanx Tuna..

GREATLY APPRECIATED in your advise re the Spare and re what you had written abut the Mortan bay,,yes I know that area as I had visited that area only early last year..

My wife was very pleased on your comment when I read out on what you wrote,,as yur telling us both,,like Bill-V,,we made an awesome purchase in purchasing the 420 Renegade,,only wished I NOW got it Vinyl Wrapped as we seen one today,,looked real good but be scared on what it would of cost though.:)

And thanx for the info re:- the Spare too :)

Cheers Al.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

Gday ALL;

Proud to say,,My new toy be with me ont he 14th May ..

RAIN,,HAIL,,or SHINE or WIND,,SHE BE GETTING WET!!!!!!!!!..

I cannot wait,,i wish I knew some one MAGIC to turn TIME FORWARD :woohoo: :P

PLEASE !!..keep an eye on HERE next weekend,,there be plenty of pix..

This the way she looks,,and sitting awaiting for my collection..

post-14347-144599046888_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Gday all..

I HOPE all these pix works,,,sorry none of me was taken YET on the boat,,only driving it and in the photo loading fishing gear {the blonde hair guy},,is my son in law..

I TRIED to post up a picture of ME driving my new toy but obviously will not work and that's the mrs in the red jumper helping my son in law whilst I was taking pix..

More to come over this NOW coming weekend

post-14347-144599049193_thumb.jpg

post-14347-144599049204_thumb.jpg

post-14347-144599049213_thumb.jpg

post-14347-144599049222_thumb.jpg

Archived