New toy on the way.

polyphonic

Well after a lot of sweet talking and a little straight out begging I have convinced the minister of war and finance what a fantastic idea a 55lb bow mount motor will be.:) :)

I spoke to the guys today where I brought my boat and with the discounts I get (because thats where I got my boat) it will only cost about $150 more for them to supply and fit it all rather than buying all the stuff and doing it myself.;)

And yes it should be all ready for Awoonga.:) :) :) :) :)

Yep I'd rather pay the extra $150 than put up with the pain of my mechaical know how and the time it would take.:laugh:

I'm like a gold fish when it comes to mechanical things. I go around and around in circles and after 3 sec I forget what I was doing.:P

Yep polys are a bit heavier than allu but some mates have a 55 lb on their 4.55 poly's and they work well. Plus anything bigger and you go up to a 24v system.

I have a remote on my 55 forward mount and Idont know what I would do without it now. On my small tinny I have a rear mount 50 which I lock to go straight ahead and then operate from the front all the time.

I can also slide the 55 off the small tinny and slide it onto the bigger tinny with the 4 stroke on the back. This is the price I have to pay for having a crook back. ha ha

Dino

Brian D wrote:

Oh Poly how sweet. $150 install sounds good too.

We are going to have a great fleet up there.

BTW I have a spare 100ah deep cycle battery. If anyone needs it you are welcome. Very good battery and it needs a run so don't be bashfull.

I'm having a 120ah battery fitted as part of the deal but if you want to give the battery a run bring it up and I will swap it over a couple of times during the week.

• 2 weeks later...

:woohoo: Nice set up mate, well done.

I dont know much about leccys. sweet F A actually. But I was driving beside a boat being towed on the highway the other day and was watching his leccy's shaft bend back and forward in the wind:blink: .

Surely this could'nt be good for the motor. He had it up and across the boat but with the wind draft from the car it was moveing a good 4-5\". Would this bugger up the shaft? You may have to keep an eye out on you're mount. See if it happens to you. Just a tip.;)

Happy fishing with the new toy.:woohoo:

Chubstar, always a good idea to put an \"occy\" strap around the electric to minimise that sort of movement. (Thats if you can find somewhere to strap it to). But most of the movement you would have seen is within the mount, not the shaft flexing. I strap mine because I figure its another source of wear and tear eliminated, although lots of blokes dont.

Poly, where is that well they have mounted your battery? Is it under your casting platform? It looks a really neat job, well worth the few extra bucks!

Also with that Anderson plug there, you could plug another Battery straight in and leave it on the floor if you wanted, not have to open the battery box at all.

Feral wrote:

Poly, where is that well they have mounted your battery? Is it under your casting platform? It looks a really neat job, well worth the few extra bucks!

Yep casting deck lifts up, holds about 120l and I use it to keep all my safety gear and bits n pices.

And it worked out the install cost $100 more than buying everything retail:) could have saved $150 to $200 buy haggeling on price and doing the install myself but for the job I would have done I'm happy to pay the money.

i have seen the shafts flex heaps more than that. never seen 1 break yet.

i have started the outboard and forgot the electric was down on a previous boat i owned and taken off. they flex heaps.

no probs no damaged but obviously not recommended.

good luck with the new toy.

now you can sneek up on the fish.

I've seen shafts permenantly bent, but usually from abuse (ask Ray to show you his Motorguide 44!) The problem ends up being they wont slide through the mounts , but will still work fine!

Most of them are strong enough that you can ram something in the water and not bend them (under electric power of course!)

I would like another electric, a bow mount would be sweet, might have to do a 3 month Theodore trip to get the loot to pay for it though. You cant beat that compass setting with electrics, or foot control for working a snag. (Well the driver cant, the Deckie seems to have no problems!)

Feral wrote:

Yes, about 200 yards out the back door of the pub, is the Dawson river, and the town wier (yellow belly at least). But even better mile after mile of irrigation channels :) Also there is a another small dam about 10k away, but dont know if that is stocked.

We might have to borrow the Geo's car topper for some \"investigation\" work.

Archived