Popping the longtail cherry

freedawg

After many years of chasing long tail tuna and watching others in my own boat catching LTs, I have finally got one. This post is mostly to thank all the people that have posted, from which I have learnt so much and have contributed to this capture.

After a few hundred kilometres chasing birds and far of f splashes this is the result

post-10019-144599043587_thumb.jpg

This is from last weekend, but still one of the biggest Mac Tuna I have seen and definitely the biggest I have caught

post-10019-144599044272_thumb.jpg

Congratulations.

That's great to hear and a nice mac as well.

Yours and others that have posted have inspired me to give a go.

Bought a new rod and reel today and heading out on Sunday to have a crack.

Don't need spots just interested if you got it in northern or southern part of bay?

We are heading north at this stage.

Cheers Wayne

Awesome work mate and congrats on the first (and the follow up one/s). I got my only one two years ago and think I'll start devoting a little more time/effort to them because they are a good sized, quality fish to be able to catch from a tinny in the bay and taste great too. Need to save up for a mid-sized spinning outfit - have kept an eye out for one for ages second hand but haven't been lucky enough to nab a good deal yet.

Nice work freedawg, how good are longtails........good to see you went out and got a few more after the first one, you are buggered now though, that screaming drag sound becomes a drug, say goodby to lots of $$$$ worth of fuel every weekend :)

I know exactly where you are in those pics ;) , I've had some great longtail sessions there myself.......

I fished everyday of the Easter break and out of the 3 days my mate and I went out we only got half a dozen Lt's between us, the spotties made up for lack of longtails though, they were plentiful and happy to sit around the boat and let as catch them one after the other.

I played guide and took the misses and kids out on Easter Sunday and my daughter and misses cleaned up on the spotties and had a blast, was tough work for me I was running around landing and dispatching fish, re rigging after bite offs, re rigging plastics and untangling lines etc...hectic stuff, I'd hate to be a deckie on a charter boat during a hot bite......

Cheers,

Al

I learnt the most from Tunafreaks and others post from the past. This and many k's and a lot of Mac tuna. I am looking at up grading my rod already and lucky I don' t have kids, 'cause I have spent their college fund on fuel. Can't wait for the next hook up.

I read tips over and over and read many other articles as well. I really enjoy researching and putting the puzzle together to get a final result.

Sometimes it's the littlest bit of info you pick that can make the difference.

Number one rule in fishing find the fish. I stuck with bait fish we found the other day for 2 hrs thinking the predators would find them like the dolphins did. But no such luck.

Trying south tomorrow for a change.

I was west if Cape Morten on Sunday and there were about 6 boats in the one area. A couple bait fishing and the others trolling. I figured I must be in the area they were getting them but saw no action from any other boat. No birds either. We did find a bird working an area and the fish were only 30-40 cm long. Don't know what they were but we went down to 10 g slugs with only 1 hook up in a 40 g slug but my son lost it straight away.

We felt small out there with all the offshore boats. We picked our day. ;)

Chopper tailor perhaps Wayne? I'm planning to get out Sunday and hit the Measure Mile for macks first and then chase the longies. Hoping to add a Stradic 5000FJ combo to my artillery in the next couple of days, fingers crossed!! Then just need to check what jigheads/plastics I have and possibly grab another packet. Ka-ching!!!!

The first is always the hardest! Awesome work - they are some nice longtails to get started on!!

if you can't see the main land you are too far out.

Others have had different thoughts and it would be largely dependent upon what region you are fishing in, but I agree with this. Almost all of the longies I've seen have been no more than 3-4km offshore. Any further out and they seem to be only Mac Tuna.

When we got these long tails there were a lot of small mac tuna in the area. They were not busting up, but cruising and you would only see a small ripple on the surface. All the long tails had only one or two birds following. We looked more for the big splash and tried to cut them off rather than racing straight at them.

Hope this helps someone else get their first.

Thanks for extra info fellas.

Had another crack yesterday down South mainly around Dunwitch/ Peel Island took a drive up to amity piont but we couldn't find any birds working except for a small flock working inside a marine park zone. :(

The wrap up is around 150 km over 2 days not to see any Tuna. At this point I don't care if they're mac tuna or Lt's

As we couldn't locate the tuna we had a shot at some other species. See Samsteel115 report coming soon .Getting to see a lot of the bay and its beautiful Islands.

Look forward to your next fishy photos.

• 1 month later...

Well done again.

To make it more challenging you'll have to catch one on a hand line and bare hook. :whistle:

Do you have pic of the Fly you caught it on and did you see the take?

We are heading out tomorrow see how we go.

The fly was a Jon Makin Fleys Foil fly 1/0. Saw the boil on the fly, then all he'll broke loose. 30 + mins later it was in the net. Hooked this one up near Caloundra bar, we travelled from Bribie to Buddina. Saw lots of macs, bonito and stripeys, all feeding on tiny bait. They would follow the fly, have a look and turn away.

Archived