Air travel and fishing tackle?

You can take just about any fishing gear with you as long as its checked in. If you are packing your rods in a separate tube with you then you will most likely be up for excess baggage charges. If you invest in a good quality travel rod you may get away with everything on 1 normal sized suitcase. Check each airlines' checked baggage policies on their websites. If you are a frequent flyer with any of them you may get additional allowances depending on your level.

As for lures, tackle etc, I would recommend checking them in also as they will most likely be picked up at the passenger screening point because of the hooks and other sharp items. If that happens you may not get them back in time to repack.

As far as which airline is best... it really depends on their policies and the check-in staff on the day. Some can be pedantic Nazis, others will just wave you through.

Good luck and happy travels.

Rob

virgin have no size limit, and usualy 5kgs of sporting equipment is free, i have taken 2.1m rod tubes with me, they get stowed and checked in through oversized baggage area.

jetstar have a 1.6m limit for all luggage, not even the option to pay extra to get it with you. i learnt this the hard way.

Archived