yeppoon

rubberducky

Gidday guys!

I'm new to Queensland and keen to get in to some good fish. Long story short, im heading to yeppoon this weekend and have a 3.8m tinny. Where should I be fishing? Chasing anything that'll have a good run on the reel and go alright on the plate.

Any ideas welcome! Lock it in eddy!

Cheers guys

Depending on what you want to catch and what the weather's doing

- out the front of the headland at Roslyn bay marina for mackeral, jew, tuna, fingermark, cod, grunter.

-causeway lakes for blue salmon, jacks, barra and general estuary stuff

Good luck!

Don't worry about the tinny.

You want:

1-3/2-4kg rod with ~2000 size reel with 6-10lb braid and 12-16 (and some 20 just in case) leader.

You want an assortment of light jigheads around 1 1/12 and 3-5 plastics and an assortment of 1-2m diving hardbody lures between 50-100mm.

You need a back pack with aforementioned items + brag mat, camera, pliers and scissors etc. Also a cool bag to keep fish you're keen to keep in, you're on foot here, remember.

You need to find out low tide and need to arrive at the as yet to be mnetioned spot one hour before this.

Climb down the muddy bank and cross the creek... and start casting and walking. Crossing the creek regularly in the shallow (straight) areas.

Keep casting and keep walking for a few hours and you'll reach a fork and island. Go up to the right here and keep casting but dont walk too far. The tide comes in quickly here.

You safely have about 4 to fish then start walking back from whence you came.

This is in a place called fishing creek and right up the far reaches. Find fishing Creek road and follow it...

But be quiet, its a secret spot.

Low tide essential.

Species I have caught in creek:

Qld groper, whiting, yellowfin bream, pikey bream, moses perch, flathead, mangrove jack, barramundi, tarpon, estuary cod, javelin fish (grunter).

Or launch into causeway lake and try not to get lost. Very calm protected water way with most of the above mentioned fish.

Or Coorooman Creek is worth a lool around too.

Also town reaches of Fitzroy in Rocky.

Or out the Rosslyn Bay marina and look for school and spotted mackerel.

Drop into Barra Jacks on the way into Rocky and The Secret Spot in Yeppoon and buy some gear and ask a few questions.

But don't tell any one about that first spot.

I don't think crocs are a risk but be aware they are found in the area.

Cheers guys, great feed back.

Weather's looking calm, slight offshore breeze and perfect conditions for getting the fishiest fingers in central Queensland. Any extra hints would be great. Otherwise I'll be trying everything under the sun. Previously bulk beers have never let me down.

Cheers guys, see you out there

Archived