Where do you get you lures from ???

Hi all

I have spent a lot of money on lures, but when I look at what I have there are not that many or much variety be it colour, type/shape.

I have caught 3 fish on lures (over a 15 years), the latest being a Saratoga thanks to Dinodadog

My question to everyone is where is your preferred place to shop and do you have a wide variety or just a few preferred ones ???

Please list any favourite Fresh or Salt.

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers

James :woohoo:

Over my way I buy lures from Big W, BCF, Charltons, if when out and about and I see an interesting looking (to me ) tackle shop I have no problems with checking out their range.Many tackle shops have bargain boxes of lures that are run out stock or slow sellers. Just because a lure is in a 'bargain box' doesn`t mean it`s crap (some are)

If your happy to use and maybe lose $20-35 lures go for it, but remember many of the $5-15 range have probably caught lots of fish over time.

As far as colours go, IMO it`s more about knowing how to get the lure in front of the fishes nose, bream and flathead prove that almost any lure, any colour can be successful. Certain colours/combinations on the day may produce better results. eg: for me, I find a black and red HB or green with a lighter colour combination SP often work well for flathead on days they pick to be fussy.

May be it`s because I have confidence in those colours and therefore, I work the lure that little bit more than usual???

Success with lures (and bait) begins and ends with: knowing your target species and where they roam,feed and hang out at various tide phases and where you put your lure, whether HBs or SPs. Just like buying/selling a house it`s all about location and presentation.

I am a creature of habit and loyalty. I tend to use the Damiki and Pontoon 21 lures for bass and bream, I use the Austackle slugs mainly on price. I use Rapala lures for trolling and Pakula skirts for marlin and Tuna. I have recently been using the Backdrop Jigs from Damiki with a lot of success. I normally purchase my lures from www.reeltackle.com.au (Lance - Aussie123) and Tackle warehouse.

Mate if you're in brisbane, I buy most of my lures from the tackle shop carsledine. Excellent service and advice, and something which surprised me is they are actually cheaper than online sites like Motackle. As for what types, I keep a wide variety, as I've found that on days when fish are being extremely picky I've had to go through literally half my tackle box before I get a hit.

For fresh species such as yellowbelly and bass, and even Bream, I keep a variety of colours in shallow diving cranks such as Atomics and Marias for shallower water/when fish are near the surface. More recently I've had some good success using 1.5 and 2m diving Maria cranks in the slightly deeper water. It's my personal belief that having a variety of colours in your lures is a good idea, as certain days it seems they'll smash one colour and not another :dry: In the cheaper varietys I have had success with kato 0.8m divers from BCF, for $4 on sale, can't go wrong! I also keep a few spinnerbaits handy, 3/8 and 1/4 are a good size for general use I've found, and greens with silver and purples have worked well for me.

I know alot of people swear by surface lures for bass, but I'm still yet to pop that cherry :pinch: However I did catch my first ever Saratoga on a River2sea buggi pop :whistle:

I get a lot of Damiki and Pontoon 21 clearance stock on Master Angler.

/>http://www.masterangler.com.au/

For lures like DSTCO that work awesomely but have been reduced to a few bucks because the colour has been discontinued it is awesome and makes lure shopping a lot cheaper.

Fish Arrow best Shads are on there for $10 at the moment. Very good value for an awesome bass/flatty/jack lure.

/>http://www.masterangler.com.au/p/8775673/fish-arrow-best-shad-.html

Angus

I try to support the locals guys as much as I can although they can't compete with the os prices is good to go in and have a chat to the blokes that run the stores, I forgot half my gear last week and stopped in the tackle shop carseldine and got well looked after, thanks rob :-)

One of my favourite ways to get lures is to pay half price for them buying them off young blokes who have splashed out on the last seasons "go to " lures, and now want to sell them off to mobilise some cash so they can move on to the latest trendy lure offerings. Probably over half my lures have ended up in my shed that way.

Just a simple rule, never pay more than half retail.

Same goes for reels.

Archived