Caught a donut - want half?

kmcrosby78

Caught a donut Sat night - if anyone wants half let me know ........... Conditions were surprisingly FANTASTIC at the mouth when I got there about 9:30pm. Annoyingly though because of this there were already 3 boats anchored along the sunken wall which I was hoping to have to myself to nail a jewie. Decided to chuck one of the original Threadybusters (bought 9 for $20 - without split rings or hooks but stil a BARGAIN!!!! off Gumtree a while ago) onto my new Stradic 5000FJ combo and try drifting the first wharves you come to but no luck, so headed to get some livies.

My el cheapo sounder seemed to be showing an absolute abundance of bait all around the poop schute area including out into the channel in the deeper water so settled for there after throwing the net for a while - lots of small prawns, couple of hardiheads, herring, small gar and silver biddies but unfortunately no mullet or decent sized herring so wasn't too confident. (SIDENOTE - ARE SILVER BIDDIES ANY GOOD AS LIVIES?).

Caught nothing there (except for a squid that engulfed a live gar - looked cool when it came in with half the gar inside the squid!!). Tried the wharves until the anchor let slip and decided enough was enough - wind had picked up about 1am along with the outgoing tide so it had got quite choppy. Hoping to go again this Sat night (I try and stick mostly to night sessions as it doesn't cut into 'family time/fatherly duties' ...... seems to get me on the water much more often). Think I'll try pinning a few small live prawns onto a small-ish circle hook and see if that tempts something.

Anyone got any tips on fishing the dredge area? It's one area I'd like to try a bit but haven't. Coming along the wharves towards it can you slip in behind it as long as you stay 30m from the rockwall and I assume 30m from the floats of the dredge? Also did I read that the area where they are putting in new pylons to extend the oil pipeline is a 6 knot zone?

Did you buy those off me? Sounds about how many I offloaded for cheap... Can't remember exactly how many and for how much other than I got rid of a heap of things I found I wasn't using and didn't need to keep while I went overseas.

If it was you, how did they swim?

Haha, just worked out why you edited my first post Brian (couldn't work it out at first - was tired when I wrote it so was worried what I'd accidentally included ....). You have an ABUNDANCE of talent as a moderator .......... ;)

Benno - now if I just had a GPS mark to locate said big grassies .......... Nope, not even a catty, ray or shove, quite bewildering!

Wayne - just couldn't be bothered and wanted to fish a couple of spots so didn't want to lose fishing time. Are they still around?

Terry - funnily enough I think it probably was you as I'm pretty sure the name was 'Terry' on Gumtree. I sent you a million texts to arrange for my brother to pick them up as he was closer (along with the soft racks for the kayak). As far as I can tell they swam fine - I'm still a bit of a novice with lures (particularly vibes) and it was at night but I'm definitely keen to give them a bit more of a try. Any idea on what sized trebles would ideally suit them? I had a pack of Size 4's so put them on but they may be slightly large I'm thinking?

Round two this Sat night!!!!

Ahah, that was me.

I bought them quite a while ago. I used a couple, but the others just sat in a drawer for years. I couldn't remember how they swam at all - I don't think it was a strong vibe action, but they seemed to get results for others. I can't even remember the last time I used a vibe lure of any sort!

No idea on the treble size sorry mate, I am a shocker with that sort of stuff (remember sizes) and truth be told, I don't think I have a single (spare) treble hook with me here. Have you considered putting singles on?

Archived