DIY Shrimp traps.

rayke1938

• 4 weeks later...

With wintercamp coming up I thought I'd have a quick squiz at this and complete a bit of DIY myself with your awesome idea Ray. Hopefully I can nab a few shrimp myself.

Thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge again.

And that is hilarious. I laughed in my office when I saw how you spelt your name :D

edit - and I hope you don't mind Ray - I've turned this into a sticky. Great info for others in future.

Made a few of my own using this idea, work well. But I dont drink soft drink and the kids dont need it either ;) , so I dont have access to free empty 2l soft drink bottles.

So I am going to try something different for the funnels.

Got these on fleabay, about $19 for 10 delivered from hong kong. Comparable to the price of buying elcheapo 2l softdrink bottles and they are a bit wider at 150mm across, also a bit more robust.

post-11051-144599058542_thumb.jpg

Ok, I have retro fitted funnels to a couple I had made with soft drink bottle tops, with funnels.

First photo is a funnel sitting on top of a trap Ray gave me, his favoured smaller size ones. be brilliant for those I reckon.

post-11051-144599059574_thumb.jpg

First step, make the hole bigger.

Dont have a fancy oversize hole saw like ray, so the old hacksaw blade and gaffa tape did the job.

post-11051-144599059617_thumb.jpg

tried one pot with the frisbee pointing in, but it didn't result in a very big gap between the funnel ends.

post-11051-144599059587_thumb.jpg

So did the other one old school.

post-11051-144599059594_thumb.jpg

post-11051-1445990596_thumb.jpg

When the funnel is cut off, the depth is comparable to the soft drink bottle top.

post-11051-144599059606_thumb.jpg

The two traps ready for duty. Got two netting ones in the dam that are about to give up the ghost, these will go in as soon as they do.

post-11051-144599059612_thumb.jpg

post-11051-144599059582_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
43 minutes ago, fifis101 said:

Normally I would love anything DIY and don't get me wrong these do look pretty good but can't you get the standard collapsible traps for like $5? Only $2-3 off ebay if I remember right. Have you had issues these types of traps to warrant making your own?

Yep! The Redclaw chew through them like Tubby Taylor at first slip! That and, they're not as strong, tend to rot (a lot faster than gutter guard ever will), and the netting holes get clogged up with algae fairly quickly. The traps you speak of are useful for shorter times in the water, but our shrimp pots live on the bottom 24/7. I use opera house traps with a smaller hole for some of my pots, and they're pretty good, although have some of the same issues as the collapsible square traps.

1 hour ago, fifis101 said:

Normally I would love anything DIY and don't get me wrong these do look pretty good but can't you get the standard collapsible traps for like $5? Only $2-3 off ebay if I remember right. Have you had issues these types of traps to warrant making your own?

I've just bought a few of the eBay cheapies only for occasional use. I've used them in the past and they do not last long at all. redclaw destroy them very quickly! if I wanted them to last a good few years of heavy use, then id make my own like this

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
On 10/02/2016 at 3:43 AM, basshunter1987 said:

Yep! The Redclaw chew through them like Tubby Taylor at first slip! That and, they're not as strong, tend to rot (a lot faster than gutter guard ever will), and the netting holes get clogged up with algae fairly quickly. The traps you speak of are useful for shorter times in the water, but our shrimp pots live on the bottom 24/7. I use opera house traps with a smaller hole for some of my pots, and they're pretty good, although have some of the same issues as the collapsible square traps.

What opera house are you talking about? I'd like to try them. Would you mind telling me in more detail?