SPB 31st - 1st

demarc

Heya,

Went out SPB on Saturday for an overnighter with Tim D and Motu. Left Rabybay at 5AM. After a close call with a kayaker with no bloody lights on we were at the bar by 5:45AM or so. Went through the amity channel whih was flat as. Had over 2 meters of water the whole way on low tide, which is good. The channel has moved again, it's back away from the beach again.

We were greated with a hard game to get livies with not much around. We eventually filled the tank then headed to boat rock. Once we got there conditions turned pretty savage. We lined up and did our first drift. Motu deployed a livie while I floatlined and Tim used SPs. Within 5 mins Motu's drag screamed. We were on! Pulled in lines and gave chase. Lost this biggie in the end due to too short of a wire trace.

After this we headed to the group to have a play. With my motoring real close into the rocks while the boys through in SPs and livies. They then free spooled while I drove out of the danger zone. This effort landed us a nice Kingfish on a SP. Tim was happy with his score.

Over the conditions we anchored up on the south side of the rock, about 10 meters out. motu again put out livies and gar, I floatlined and Tim continued with SPs. Then the rain started to move in. We started filling the chilli bin. Moses Perch, Parrort, Travelly. Then Motus line went of again with the livie.

post-11167-144599052074_thumb.jpeg

After a bit of a fight there was a masive crack. His bloody rod snapped in two. with only two guides left he conitnued the fight landing a 90 - 100cm Spannish. High fives all round!

post-11167-14459905208_thumb.jpeg

After this we to the beach front side of the group and achored up in shallow reed for the night. This is where the real fun started. When the sun went down, the big snapper came on. Landed around 10 that night ranging from 40 - 55cms. If we turned the deck lights on though, the snapper would move away and travelly would move in. So we had to fish without the deck lights if snapepr were to be had.

After a pretty rough night we motored on at 5AM back to the rock. No luck however, but conditions were flat so we took the chance to head out more. We hit the waverider bouy, but couldn't raise any kingies or dollies. We then headed out to the 35s northward and fished deep. Got 1 snapper and pearlie. Time lost us and by 11:30 we headed for the Northern channel of SPB and headed home.

All in all was a bloody great trip!

post-11167-144599052062_thumb.jpg

Great stuff Julian. I was looking at the BOM Model on Friday night and I reckoned it could be a little sloppy on Saturday. Nice Esky to keep you happy. Who is eating the Travally?

I saved two for myself to smoke and then two for bait. They are bloody nice smoked if you bleed em!

Heya,

Went out SPB on Saturday for an overnighter with Tim D and Motu. Left Rabybay at 5AM. After a close call with a kayaker with no bloody lights on we were at the bar by 5:45AM or so. Went through the amity channel whih was flat as. Had over 2 meters of water the whole way on low tide, which is good. The channel has moved again, it's back away from the beach again.

We were greated with a hard game to get livies with not much around. We eventually filled the tank then headed to boat rock. Once we got there conditions turned pretty savage. We lined up and did our first drift. Motu deployed a livie while I floatlined and Tim used SPs. Within 5 mins Motu's drag screamed. We were on! Pulled in lines and gave chase. Lost this biggie in the end due to too short of a wire trace.

After this we headed to the group to have a play. With my motoring real close into the rocks while the boys through in SPs and livies. They then free spooled while I drove out of the danger zone. This effort landed us a nice Kingfish on a SP. Tim was happy with his score.

Over the conditions we anchored up on the south side of the rock, about 10 meters out. motu again put out livies and gar, I floatlined and Tim continued with SPs. Then the rain started to move in. We started filling the chilli bin. Moses Perch, Parrort, Travelly. Then Motus line went of again with the livie.

post-2560-144598474161_thumb.jpgIMG_20140601_131232.jpg[/attachment]

measured that Spaniard when I got home 1280 mm . plenty of good steaks cheers

Well done guys on a good catch in some tough conditions.

Those Trevs are not bad eating if bled and ice slurried as soon as they are caught.

There is a huge commercial industry catching them due to their popularity along the NSW coastline.

They are great smoked as Julian mentioned but more so they are one of the most popular fish to use in a curry.

Archived