Fishing with the Master - North Pine Dam 11 July 2014

Double-M

My twin brother Stuart heard about the great fishing I have been enjoying with Ray (the Master) and other great fishermen I've met through Ray. So I asked Ray if he could take Stu fishing if he came down to this neck of the woods. Ray being the gentleman fisherman he always is, agreed. I don't think he realised he would have to deal with two of me (us). :)

We got to North Pine Dam and promptly set about getting bait. The wind was blowing something terrible, it was blinking cold, and I was still wearing shorts - brrrrrrrrr!

The prawns were a little hard to come by but we got enough to go fishing. Almost immediately after arriving at the "dropoff", Stu hooked and landed his first ever Bass. It was a beauty at 46cms. To say he was ecstatic would be an understatement. We each got a fish or two here before deciding to move on to other spots. Stu got a North Pine Tandan amidst much laughter from all of us.

Arriving at Ian's spot, it was obvious the bird life was a bit sparse today with only 2 brahminy kites visible, no pelicans and no seagulls. Maybe they were hiding from the cold? We started getting a few fish. Ray got a Tandan bigger than Stu's (we have pictures as proof - hahaha)

The fishing was interesting with, at times, Ray getting fish after fish while I couldn't get a bite even though one of my rods was only a metre from one of Ray's that was getting fish. Then Stu or I would start getting fish while the others couldn't raise a scale - all within a metre or 2 of the one getting the fish.

Ray got a great Bass of 52cms - Ripper Ray! and Stu, on his first ever successful Bass fishing trip got one of 50cms! We finished the day with 75 bass and both Stu and Ray getting a tandan while I missed out on the mighty tandans ;D.

Thanks to Ray for a fantastic day. I wonder if he can tell us apart?

Mark

post-13972-144599060578_thumb.jpg

post-13972-144599060587_thumb.jpg

post-13972-144599060595_thumb.jpg

post-13972-144599060604_thumb.jpg

post-13972-14459906061_thumb.jpg

post-13972-144599060615_thumb.jpg

post-13972-144599060622_thumb.jpg

Was blowing pretty hard out there yesterday as well, shrimp numbers are dropping off fast and the water temperature has dropped 3 or 4 degree in a week.

We actually ran out of bait yesterday, and I had 30 odd shrimp left from the last trip. ! Moved 2 of my pots to a new spot hoping for an increase in numbers.

I think James got something good, as I could hear yahoo's from his direction clear across the dam!

Thanks for the report Mark, really enjoyed it! It was good to meet you the other day as well! Next time you head out Ray, you should have a troll on the way down and way back up as you could pick up another 10 or so really solid bass! I know this may be a bit of a stretch though as it would require you to slow down a lot :lol::P

James

Archived